Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Gts R

The DeViL
05-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Finding these White w/Sparkly Indigo Blue striped Vipers for sale seems to be very rare. I guess Dodge didn't make very many of them so I was wondering. If you asked Dodge, would they make you a GTS-R like that or help you find one? Or would you be on an almost impossible search by yourself?

Viper 10
05-11-2002, 01:50 PM
It would be next to impossible, unless you knew one of the senior execs. The original white with blue striped GTS's were made especially for executives with Dodge. A total of 3 were produced.

The GT2 version of the GTS was a commemorative edition where 100 were produced. It was essentially an ACR with spoliers and a white with blue striped paint. They sold for $100,000 each and the speculators took a bath on them because no one paid premium prices and they aren't that valuable (today). There was not special performance modifications on it.

It seems to be common that people call it a GTS-R, but the correct name is GT-2 to commemorate the Le Mans GT-2 Class win by Team Oreca. The GTS-R's are track-only versions that were assembled and set up by Team Oreca and sold to racers only.

I hope that answers your questions.

Brad

The DeViL
05-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Yeah that about did it. Just wondering cuz there is an old site out there that someone was selling a GTS/R -R whatever for I think 88,000. Site never says anything about it being sold but most likely it would of been.

Also, what exactly is ACR? I see a few of those sold on Ebay named GTS ACR and so forth. Is that a cheaper product or a GTS just tweaked a little bit?

Viper 10
05-13-2002, 12:03 PM
DeVil:

The ACR moniker stands for American Club Racer. It is a $10,000 option that includes:
- K&N air filters and smooth intake tubes (cost is less than $200). This adds an additional 10 HP to the ACR;
- 5-point harnesses which were not race approved (and are now being retrofitted in every ACR). The cost of this option is about $500-600 for the pair of harnesses.
- Double Adjustable Shock and stiffer springs. I have never seen whether these shocks do anything to improve the Viper's handling. On top of this the shocks are notorious for rattling (the fix is to replace them with the stock GTS shocks). Cost of this on the open market is about $2,000.
- Removal of radio, a/c and driving lights for weight savings (comfort option of package adds an additional charge... which is standard in GTS's).

With regards to the GTS-R title for the limited edition commemorative car, I think that the magazines mis-named the GT2.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Brad

The DeViL
05-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Some of those parts seem pretty expensive. I think it might of been you or someone else who was saying a Viper hood costs $14,000? Damn thats a little crazy.
K one final question from me. I'm sure the insurance rates are probably higher then what I would have to pay in Virginia, but what do you think is the average payment for insurance on a Viper?

Viper 10
05-15-2002, 01:27 AM
That is totally dependent on your record and where you live. I am older than you and I have not had a moving violation in 20 years (and yes I have driven sports cars almost my entire life).

USAA has the best rates. Most companies won't insure you with a Viper unless another company has insured it.

Brad

fastautos
05-18-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by The DeViL
Some of those parts seem pretty expensive. I think it might of been you or someone else who was saying a Viper hood costs $14,000? Damn thats a little crazy.
K one final question from me. I'm sure the insurance rates are probably higher then what I would have to pay in Virginia, but what do you think is the average payment for insurance on a Viper?

The hood costs around $10,000.

Add your comment to this topic!