Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

higher rpms...

gsr916
09-11-2005, 03:30 PM
i looked at an rsx-s today for my brother... everything seemed cool except there was a sound that started at about 4500 rpm... the only way i could describe it would be like the sound of pop rocks, but muffled. Any idea what this could be? Sounds weird, i know :-/ I guess im just wondering if maybe it is a normal sound for rsx's or somethin (which would be odd IMO)

RSX-S777
09-12-2005, 05:57 AM
I had a strange metallic, low-key "rattle" (is the only way I can describe it) at around 4500-5K+ right before i-vtec engage a while back. Posted here and brainstormed a little with no conclusion. Changed my oil (thought maybe it was low oil pressure) and punched it a few times smoothly up to 7K. I still hear I slight noise if I take it right to the engagement point and then back off the throttle before or as the pin is engaged, but nothing if I push through it into higher rpms. Everything checks out with my car mechanically, so it really doesn't worry me much anymore, and it seems to have quieted as I've broken the car in.

nastyNater
09-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Has to be something related to the vtec kickin in.

RSX-S777
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah- I just don't think it has anything to do with the actual mechanical or electrical systems specifically involved with the technology. I feel like there is some random plate or some extraneous thing somewhere that rattles lightly as a result of the change in pitch at crossover. Of course, It just occurred to me that I could be talking about something totally different than the problem initially mentioned as I really have no fucking clue what Pop Rocks sound like...

Privatebigandrew
09-16-2005, 08:19 PM
the sound is most likely coming from the plastic cover over your valve cover and intake. We get customers with this complaint all the time and this is the fix 95% of the time. You just have to apply some felt at the point of contact where the rattle is, or you can mold the plastic cover with heat too. Its weird too, cuz it only happens at certain Rpms, when the vibrations are just right.

nastyNater
09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
the sound is most likely coming from the plastic cover over your valve cover and intake. We get customers with this complaint all the time and this is the fix 95% of the time. You just have to apply some felt at the point of contact where the rattle is, or you can mold the plastic cover with heat too. Its weird too, cuz it only happens at certain Rpms, when the vibrations are just right.

is this only on the stock manifolds? b/c i bet a aftermarket one would be a good bet in this circumstance. kind of a waste of $$$ though...

Add your comment to this topic!