Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hard swap??

deadring
09-11-2005, 12:25 PM
i came upon a a real cheap 89 colt with a 1.5 l in it... low mileage, and rust free.. now i have it on hold to buy till i find out how hard is it to swap a 4g63T in it with a tranny... a FWD of course.

i have seen a few but enever had a chance to ask any one a of them.

1- is it hard to fit the tranny-engine in the old one? do he engine mounts fit right in?

2- the shift linkage, is there alot of fitting ? how?

3- the exaust, now that must need a bit of fitting since the car sisint even turbo so.. still... how much?

4- and finally, the electricals... how hard to fit the 4g63t ECU to the original wiring loom.. speculating that you put the 4g63 ecu in place of the old one.

5- am i forgetting anthing? ah yes an intercooler.. well that i can do easily.

anybody can fill me out on the rest?

Deadring

Talont28
10-22-2005, 01:33 AM
yes the 4g63 will bolt right in..
the exhuast you can use off a stock talon tsi or eclipse or laser aslong as its turbo and fwd...or go w/ 2.5 mandral bent...

personally if doing the swap id go w/ an early dsm engine...like from a 1st gen talon eclipse or laser...comes w/ a 6bolt fly wheel..and the engine is less likley to crank walk..

and im actually in the same boat as u i just bought a 92 colt ;) to do the swap in...

hope it helps

Jesse

deadring
10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
well i lost my luck to buy the colt.. but there are many so thats no problem..

yeah id' go with a 6 bolt from a 1st generation. porbably take out the balancer shafts too while the engine is out of the car. mayby get a 4g63 with a cyclone intake ;)

good luck and let me know how it turns out!!

Deadring

Beatass90Laser
12-29-2005, 11:07 PM
i came upon a a real cheap 89 colt with a 1.5 l in it... low mileage, and rust free.. now i have it on hold to buy till i find out how hard is it to swap a 4g63T in it with a tranny... a FWD of course.

i have seen a few but enever had a chance to ask any one a of them.

1- is it hard to fit the tranny-engine in the old one? do he engine mounts fit right in?

2- the shift linkage, is there alot of fitting ? how?

3- the exaust, now that must need a bit of fitting since the car sisint even turbo so.. still... how much?

4- and finally, the electricals... how hard to fit the 4g63t ECU to the original wiring loom.. speculating that you put the 4g63 ecu in place of the old one.

5- am i forgetting anthing? ah yes an intercooler.. well that i can do easily.

anybody can fill me out on the rest?

Deadring
My brother has a colt with a 4g63t in he said it just bolts right up

SleepinColt
12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Im doin the same swap in my 89 colt im dropping the 4g63 from the mitsubishi...i can use some help n advice to so ill keep checkin up on this thread.maybe we can talk another way aim? since we going through the same things.

Add your comment to this topic!