Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Grand AM Front Right SQUEAL

Rigidkitchen
09-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi. First time posting. I have a 93 Grand Am SE and I just recently had my fuel filter replaced. Not too long after that when I would turn right my front right side would start making this horrible high pitched squealing - not steady but a rythymic pulsating awful sound. Like I hit a banshee or something.

Now, it's doing it when I'm going straight as well. I'm thinking it's either my alternator or something to do with my powersteering. Nothing is leaking, everything is okay on fluids and all of my belts are nice and snug. Also, it only happens after I've been driving for about 10 to 15 minutes so I don't think it's the belts. It has to be a bearing or something because it's progressively getting louder and worse, like something is rubbing or scraping. High-pitched though.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Some more details. It's not affected by speed, weather, or A/C, or when I break. It's actually incredibly random.

xeroinfinity
09-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Welcome Rigidkitchen. Sound like either the wheelbearings or you need new brakes. There is a metal clip on the brake shoes that squeealss when the brakes need replaced.

I wouldnt think changing the fuel filter has anything to do with the squeal. You can check the wheel bearings by jacking up the car and shake the wheel left and right, up and down to see if its loose at all. Also rotate the wheel and see if it squeals, if so its probley the brakes. If the pitch of the squeeal doesnt change when breaking its the bearing.

If you change your bearings, I'd replace both at the same time. If you only change one side the other will need replaced you'll just be chasing them back and forth. XI

Rigidkitchen
09-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes I ruled out power steering belt and fluid (it's not due to strain on the belt) and the alternator seems okay. The noise is independent of the brakes. It is random but happens more when i shift the wheel right (think of the rotation needed to change lanes gradually)

Also, how much would getting the bearings replaced cost, as I'm in college and money is perpetually tight. Could I use the jack that comes with the car to fix a flat to do the test you recommended?

xeroinfinity
09-11-2005, 03:28 PM
This might be expessive.What size motor do you hav? The bearings/hubs run about $75 each. A shop is gonna charge about $300-400. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes do change the bearings. Around an hour on each side.

The jack that comes with the car will work for checking things out. Just make sure its on flat level ground, and dont climb under the car with out jack stands. Try not to shake it off the jack, that really sucks.

gmack221
09-12-2005, 07:38 AM
there are several things that it could be, if it makes the noise while sitting still, it could be a belt tensioner bearing going bad. If it only makes noise while driving i would look at the wheel bearing (hub). if its not one of those two I would look at the inside of the rim to make sure it isn't getting tore up by a worn out suspension/steering component. Most likely its the wheel bearing/hub.

Rigidkitchen
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Went to the mechanic today, it was worn brake pads. Just the indicator strip is all. The bearing is fine. Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I was able to narrow it down to one or the other.

Add your comment to this topic!