Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Im a big guy, and I think my car is suffering

Camry99
09-10-2005, 04:03 PM
When I first bought the car I was around 400lbs. I bought it in March. Someone told me from me sitting in the drivers seat all that time that it is hurting the "gromlets"? or something like that. About 3 months ago I had gastric bypass surgery and now I weigh 275lbs, but the sound is still there (I guess from all the beating from when I was heavier".

my question is how much would it cost to replace the "gromlets" and the labor work to do it. Thanks

Toysrme
09-10-2005, 04:08 PM
I have no idea what that is.

I would just buy a used seat from another Toyota. Camry, minivan, SUV, Celica, whatever. Most of the use the same bolt pattern, 4*14mm bolts hold them down.

GL on the new life & I'm happy you got through it.

csaxon
09-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Grommets are used to tension the springs and material under the seat cushion and back. Is your drivers seat making this noise or are you saying the car suspension is squeeking? Please describe the sound and where you think it's coming from.

Camry99
09-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I think the sound is coming from the front end drivers side...

it happens when i take off from a stop or hit the brakes

csaxon
09-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Describe the sound.

Clicking Light, sharp noise. Usually related to engine or vehicle speed.
Clunking Random thumping or pounding sound.
Knocking Rhythmic Pounding
Pinging High-pitched metallic tapping sound.
Screeching High pitched piercing metallic sound
Squealing Loud shrill, sharp, noise related to engine speed.
Scraping, thud growl.

Get someone else to listen and describe the sound and where it's coming from.

Camry99
09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
it sounds like a grinding sound, when I drive from a stop or go to brake

csaxon
09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I would start by checking the front brake pads/rotors since the sound occurs when you apply them. You may simply need new front brake pads.
Do you do your own car work?
I would also check the cv joints (look at the shaft between the engine/transmission and the wheels. The rubber boots on both ends and the wheels) and see if they're torn or leaking grease.

If you raise the wheels off the ground you can manually turn them and perhaps hear and feel the area where the grinding is coming from.

Joe W
09-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I would definitely get the brakes looked at. This noise is almost certainly NOT related to your seat, which by the way, should be just fine, as the grommets are fairly substantial.

Camry99
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
i just had the brakes changed and the noise is still there....and now once in a while when I drive from a stop or make a turn 1 of the brakes does a little "weee" sound

oh and when I go over a bump on the drivers side the car makes a little whistle sound....if thats related? I dont know

thanks for the help so far

csaxon
09-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Did you have the noise before the brakes were changed or after?

Camry99
09-14-2005, 02:00 AM
before and after....and the brake on the left squeaks a little...

csaxon
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
There's a hard black plastic/vinyl liner in the wheel well. It lines the fender and shields part of the engine from water spray etc.. Maybe it's missing some fasteners or has come loose. Your tire may be rubbing or hitting it. Look for rubbing or scrape marks. Are your wheels and tires over size?

Take the car back to where the brakes were serviced and describe the problem and noise to them. They should at least look at it to see if something was over looked or incorrectly reassembled.

Camry99
09-17-2005, 02:46 PM
could it be shocks maybe?

csaxon
09-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Camry99 It could be. The problem is I can't hear or feel what you tell me.

You've mentioned a grinding noise, a weee sound, and a squeak. The squeak could be a suspension part like the strut or shock. The grind and weee sound could be a brake caliper piston thats not releasing completely and the brake pad is grinding on the rotor. It could also be a warped rotor. I could go on and on with "it could be".

You really need someone there who can analyze the situation hands on. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!