Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Brake Lockup on 1993 Cavalier

felixx4
09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I have a 1993 Cavalier that has a brake problem. It seems that the passenger rear brake locks up when stopping. I also notice that the rear of the car dips down when i come to a stop, them releases back up when i start driving again. Ive had my mechanic look at it and he's not sure why its giving me this problem. He cant find anything wrong. Any ideas? Has anyone ever run into this problem? Thanks in advance!

Lvtrucks2000
09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Your mechanic should have seen this! Your Passenger side rear brakes are adjusted out farther than the Driver. That is why you have the dip and the constant lock up

felixx4
09-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Your mechanic should have seen this! Your Passenger side rear brakes are adjusted out farther than the Driver. That is why you have the dip and the constant lock up

Thats a possibility. I havent yet looked at the brakes myself only because i just moved into my new house, so ill have to check that out. Also, someone mentioned to me that it may be the wheel cylinder. Is that a possibility? Im also thinking that it may be a warped drum. The rear end (passenger side only) dipping and brake lock up is so extreme. Hopefully i can get this resolved. Thanks for the feedback!

Lvtrucks2000
09-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Those are 2 very good reasons also. I would check them out. Your wheel cyl may be locked up and be at the expanded position. I am leaning to the adjustment issue though

94VL
09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
You could also have contaminated lining on that side.Maybe a leaking wheel cylinder has wet down the lining,which swells it up.When its wet,it grabs to the point of locking the wheel.If this is the case,replace BOTH sides of shoes and replace the cylinder.Once wet,lining cannot be dried out of fluid,it absorbs it like a sponge.

felixx4
09-10-2005, 09:33 PM
You could also have contaminated lining on that side.Maybe a leaking wheel cylinder has wet down the lining,which swells it up.When its wet,it grabs to the point of locking the wheel.If this is the case,replace BOTH sides of shoes and replace the cylinder.Once wet,lining cannot be dried out of fluid,it absorbs it like a sponge.
Thanks. Ill look for a leaky wheel cylinder when i get te drum off.

cousincletus
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
My first guess would be wheel cyl too. If BOTH the rear brakes were grabbing I would say rubber flexible hose. I'm assuming the mechanic adjusted the rear brakes. BTW even if the brakes were overadjusted I doubt it would be bad enough that the wheel would lock up.

felixx4
09-12-2005, 09:03 PM
My first guess would be wheel cyl too. If BOTH the rear brakes were grabbing I would say rubber flexible hose. I'm assuming the mechanic adjusted the rear brakes. BTW even if the brakes were overadjusted I doubt it would be bad enough that the wheel would lock up.

Thanks for the reply. A lot of people have been mentioning replacing the wheel cylinders. I will definitely put that down as one of the possible fixes for my problem. Does anyone think that it may have something to do with the anti lock brake system?

cousincletus
09-13-2005, 05:08 AM
You would be able to hear and feel in the pedal if the antilock braking system was activating.

Add your comment to this topic!