Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

selling a car----lien on title?

jaybez11
09-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I am selling a car to a friend and I want it in her name for insurance...etc....can I put a lien on the title?

'97ventureowner
09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
A lien is put on the title to show that someone, usually a bank or financial institution has a monetary interest in the vehicle, usually through a loan. I have never seen an individual's name on a vehicle title, but that doesn't mean it can be done. Try contacting your DMV office, or even your insurance office with that question. These people who work there have a better knowledge of the laws governing titles and liens , etc. Won't this person's name be on the title after they purchase the vehicle from you? I think if you want your name on the title for the lien, you may have to show some paperwork to the DMV stating that you still have a financial interest in that vehicle. Probably the DMV would be your best place for answers on this matter as I am not sure of other state's regulations regarding liens on titles. Good luck.

CraigFL
09-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I agree with the above answer but add a word of caution. If your name appears on the title, which means you have some interest in the car, you may end up having responsibility for it also. I've heard of cases where buyers abandoned cars and the leinholder was responsible for costs involved in moving the car. It is always best to sell cars complete withouit personal loans. Encourage them to find their own loan.

Add your comment to this topic!