Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Opinion on TURBO B16

MexSiR
09-07-2005, 05:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-FULL-Turbo-Kit-Acura-Integra-Civic-B16-B18-JDM_W0QQitemZ7997922858QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

What do you guys think about this turbo kit?

What else would I need to run it on my 1999 Civic Si?

Please Respond.
Thanks.

civicHBsi91
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Looks alittle sketchy seeing as the guy only posted 1 picture of the kit and 2 more of it blown up and rotated. You would need charge pipes and some sort of fuel management, fuel pump, injectors...etc

If you wait alittle longer or keep searching you could probably find a kit that has close to everything you need in it and possibly one that came off an si like yours so you know it would fit...

and I havent heard the greatest things on ssautochrome manifolds, although I have no personal experience with them.

QUICK_EG_B16A
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I think that it might be worth it but the manifold looks cheap(and from what I've heard they are)
but like civic said you'll still need some type of upgraded fuel system and engine management. but, I've learned the hard way you get what you pay for(especially on ebay!)

97integrals
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1323296
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1097918
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1124632
Don’t buy it. It is a piece of sh*t! There are like a million different threads all over the internet showing the same thing as those 3 links.

Ace$nyper
09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
You seemed to miss this one :naughty:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1185730

thats on 7 psi when I drove that car it was @19. total beast :evillol:

Honestly all this hate is bandwagon look at alot of the buyers who get it most mess it up or half ass and boom! could happen with full race JR anything, much like if you look up OMNI on honda tech and all the hate there from broken coilovesr yet they were put on wrong.

I've seen another car with a d16 and rods alone it was mid13s.

If i was to buy a "kit" yes i'd get SSAC.

I dont want to sound like an SSAC salesman yes they have some QC issues its been getting better and better Its not the best kit but bang for the buck is awesome.

The biggest problem i've heard about SS is the mani and that was the old one where that happened soon a 3rd gen mani will be out.

Honestly i would buy it for my car but i'm not going to half ass it *not saying you would* I think if you get it and do everything needed and install like you should you won't have a problem.

97integrals
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't doubt that the kit can make decent power, but I really don't think that they will last very long at all without some sort of bracing to the manifold. Now the turbo, I don't think I would ever use it. I had a friend who installed one of the XS power turbos and the thing took a crap on the dyno with 0 miles on it.

I myself don't want to pick up my wastegate off the highway because it broke off the manifold, even if I ran 11's before it broke. So I stay away from SSAutoChrome.

P.S. I don't care how half assed the set-up is or how the car is treated a full-race manifold will never drop the wastegate on the pavement.

Ace$nyper
09-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't doubt that the kit can make decent power, but I really don't think that they will last very long at all without some sort of bracing to the manifold. Now the turbo, I don't think I would ever use it. I had a friend who installed one of the XS power turbos and the thing took a crap on the dyno with 0 miles on it.

I myself don't want to pick up my wastegate off the highway because it broke off the manifold, even if I ran 11's before it broke. So I stay away from SSAutoChrome.

P.S. I don't care how half assed the set-up is or how the car is treated a full-race manifold will never drop the wastegate on the pavement.

He openly admits to bracing the mani took only few mins of time I'd agree with you i'd brace it myself.

That kit has been on a long time with his biggest problems coming from the motor not the kit.

I don't doubt that happened they had some really really bad QC before but are making gains to fix that.

If I am forced to keep my car I might be thinking of this kit and if so i'd give an review from install and gains all that good stuff :smile: .

97integrals
09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
He openly admits to bracing the mani took only few mins of time I'd agree with you i'd brace it myself.

That kit has been on a long time with his biggest problems coming from the motor not the kit.

I don't doubt that happened they had some really really bad QC before but are making gains to fix that.

If I am forced to keep my car I might be thinking of this kit and if so i'd give an review from install and gains all that good stuff :smile: .
I would be interested in hearing your review, if you do it. I would agree that a lot of the SSAutoChrome bashing is bandwagon, and other than my friends turbo I don't have any experience with it. But one incident of failure is good enough reason for me not to buy it. :smile:

Schister66
09-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Noo!!!!! Don"t Do It!!!

MexSiR
09-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Okay, there seems to be mixed opinions on this turbo kit. I mean, it comes with mostly everything for a reasonable price and some people say it works fine, others dont. So umm...Im not really sure on what im going to do.

What about buying the kit, and replacing the crap part, which seems to be the Manifold with a better more durable one.

Are there any other options that are doable, for around the same price?

superbluecivicsi
09-08-2005, 03:00 PM
my ssac t3/t4 lasted 2 weeks. mani was fine after rewelding it. bandwagon or, not, there turbos and manis should be approached with caution. there tial knockoffs, BOVs, intercoolers are pretty good for the price that they are.

if it were me, id never buy their turbos and manis. my experience and just too many people have bad experiences with them. there are some that have had a good experience with ssac turbos and manis. i would say, piece the turbo and mani elsewhere. all other ssac products besides the turbo and manis are a good to go on my list.

superbluecivicsi
09-08-2005, 03:31 PM
PS:

as far as there warranty and customer service goes. when my t3/t4 leaked oil on the 2nd week of running it, it recieved less than 200 miles. i emailed ssac about the problem, situation, and requested a contact phone number. there response was that they only communicate via email because it was an internet based company. all sales are final and that the warranty does not cover improper installations because, i installed it myself :lol: coming from a guy with alot of experience, this is just hilarious. i asked them, who are there authorized installers.........there response was any professional automotive shop. if you go through ssac's feedbacks on ebay, you will come to alot of immature responses from him concerning his feedbacks. the warranty http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/4
is vague and left open for alot of interpreting. interpreting that sides with ssac. there is also alot of legal vagueness in his warranty and customer service. i personally have let the issue go. i paid for what i got.

if you want some good customer service, honest, trustworthy, confidence and integrity in there products and services, someone who you can actually speak over the phone with, and someone who will honor there warranty as long as you didnt try to beat your turbo apart with a 12lbs sledge hammer, try camp1320, peakboost, prostreetonline, and PhoenixTurbo. These companies have earned my A+ over the years.

Schister66
09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
i think that it is a good value for the money, but i have heard a lot of bad things about them. You know how things get blown out of proportion on the internet and even little problems w/ their stuff could become a huge story through the many car forums on the internet. I have seen pics of a SSAutoChrome mani that blew the WG off....that's not to say that other kits don't have problems too.....

Honestly i think that you could get this kit and be completely happy w/ it.

civickiller
09-08-2005, 10:20 PM
actually if you take them to court, you probably would win with the vagueness of their warranty because if theres any vagueness, its usually the person who wrote it that takes the loss because they are suppose to write exactly what they cover.

i would never go with any ssautochrome crap no matter how good somebody tells me it is. i probably would only buy full-race products idk about their traction bars though

V T E C H
09-09-2005, 11:14 AM
There is a lot of negativity and first hand experience that says this kit sucks. i would steer clear if i was you. Hope you find somthing that works for you though

Ace$nyper
09-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Honestly I'm kind of scared look how nice logical and helpful this thread is .....

where did we stray from?
superbluesi that sucks ass about what happened with you i'm sorry to hear it. I never heard anything bad about them as far as service goes before, honestly that bugs me alot about a company.
Like Skunk2 I will NEVER buy another Skunk2 part with they 'tudes they have even though I've been happy with parts i've used from them.

I will make a write up if i ever do get this kit *if I boost i'm not half assing another turbo kit myself* Also once I get a shot at seeing working on and driving cars with this setup i'll make sure to look with a fine toothed comb.

and back to MEXSIRs question as you see people have had problems with both the manifold and turbine it self and yes you can swap them out and i've never heard of problems with there piping fittings etc so you could make a custom kit with a SSAC kit still quite cheap.

MexSiR
09-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Ok, thanks guys. Im back to the beginning, dont know what to do!...hahaha...I want to turbo or SC my Civic Si, with a budget of around 1500 dollars, I know thats kind of hard, but I bet its doable. I dont have hands on experience with turbos or forced introduction, so mmm...ill see what happens...

Add your comment to this topic!