1992 Buick Century Stalling

capodayo
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
The car keeps stalling. Cools down, runs then stalls again.
I have done a few tests and am wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a way to jump the cranksaft sensor so I can try and get the car home.
Right now there is no spark to the ECM. Can that be causing the stalling?
I am planning to change the CPS to see if thats the problem but am wondering if the ECM is the problem too.
There are no computer codes when I checked it.
The car just stalls.

I changed the Oil pressure switch, changed the fuel filter, tested the water pump.
Crankshaft sensor has no oil, it was clean.
Thanks for your help.

GTP Dad
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Chances are the Crank position sensor is the problem. There is no way to jump it and get it to run. You will have to replace the sensor or have it towed. The ECM you speak of are you actually talking about the ignition module under the coils. If there is no spark then the cps it probably the cause. Change the CPS first, if that does not work then the cam position sensor will be the next place to start. If you have a 3.3 then there is no cam position sensor.

You also didn't say what size engine you have. If it is a 4 cylinder make sure that the timing chain or belt is not broken.

capodayo
09-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Do I need any special tools to change the CPS?

GTP Dad
09-07-2005, 05:33 AM
What size engine?

capodayo
09-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Sorry, it is a 3.3. 6 cyl.
When we originally checked the computer for any codes we didn't get any codes at all.
The check engine light never came on either.
I am wondering if maybe the computer is bad.
Shouldn't we have gotten a code for the CPS?

capodayo
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Today we are getting pulse at the fuel injectors but no spark at the spark plugs? Any suggestions?
We changed the ICM.
No codes, no engine lights. We havent changed the CPS yet.

GTP Dad
09-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Most of the time the cps will not throw a code, it just fails to work and will cause the engine to stall without warning. Since you have a 3.3 there is no cam position sensor so the crank position sensor is the next thing to change. Sorry I don't currently have a book on the 3.3 but I don't think you need any special tools to change it. Maybe someone else can help you.

capodayo
09-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Okay we have the CPS but it's not in. Someone else's hunch was the ECM. So they changed the ECM, the car ran a little then stalled. They are finally giving in and are going to change the CPS tomorrow. No one wanted to get into that big of a job. They were hoping it would be something easier.
My thoughts are with the CPS, I really think thats it. Hopefully my next post will be good news.
Sounds like a tough job to do the CPS with the belts and they need a pully. All this work is being done in between work shifts, friends helping friends.
I'm doing my share getting input from this site.

capodayo
09-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Thank you GTP Dad. If only they had listened from the beginning. We changed the CPS and the car is running just fine now.
So moral of this story: If the 1992 Buick Century is stalling, change the Crank Position Sensor first.
Thanks again!!!

Add your comment to this topic!