Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pick my airbrush (poll)

blueboost
09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
After years of modeling, I feel like the only thing left that I cannot do to my satisfaction is lay paint on the body like a pro. I always get inconsistancy's, and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Its time for a nice airbrush. I've spent a few hours on here researching. I've narrowed the playing field down to your most recommended. I would like you to vote on which you think I should purchase.

Iwata Revolution BCR- (bottom feed)

Iwata Revolution CR- (Gravity feed)
both utilize a Teflon packing needle seal, which is impervious to solvent-based paints, and is easily replaced.one tip and one needle do it all. dual action, internal mix.

Badger Crescendo 175-7
Dual Action, Internal Mix, Siphon (Bottom) Feed. PROBLEM- have to change tips. (if you vote for this model, please specify why you like it better then the other choices)

Badger 360
Offering Gravity AND Bottom Feed! Dual Action, Internal Mix. Single needle/tip/head assembly. I like the thought of this one the best.

mozli
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
In my opinion you've overlooked the best one..
Iwata Eclipse HP-CS :ylsuper:

blueboost
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
In my opinion you've overlooked the best one..
Iwata Eclipse HP-CS :ylsuper:

Moderators please add that selection to my poll. I didn't see much about it in my searches.

D_LaMz
09-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I was going to get a Revolution CR but I don't really need it right now CR is good for a small amount of paint and BCR is good for large amounts because of its big jar. Theres also a comparison chart on Iwata's site.

Merkava
09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Definitly add the HP line from Iwata. I use the HP-C, and I love it to death.

ImolaEK
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I suggest any Iwata:thumbsup: I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS and it works wonders. Good for art and models. But yes, the Revolution CR would be my pick for your airbrush:thumbsup: Very economic and a all around good airbrush. Badger is alright in my opinion, the badger i have is a little stiffer than my Iwata. I find my Iwata more easy to use and comfortable.

blueboost
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
I made this nice little pole for you all to use, but no.. You have to ignore it. Es ok! :disappoin

:lol2: I'm into this Eclipse HP, lets see if anyone else chimes in. This board seems semi-dead since I used to frequent it last.

mike@af
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow, that was hard *sarcasm*.

Added your poll position.

EDIT: I almost forgot, that will be $5 USD

MPWR
09-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Pick the one you want. The model of airbrush you buy is not going to effect the quality of your work- how well you learn to use it is the only importaint factor.

Any of these (or one of many others) would be an excellent tool. I encourage you to pick one and get it- and then learn to use it (only took me 10-12 years, though I expect it can be done quicker :rolleyes: ) But, don't loose sleep over picking the right one- in the long run, it's not going to really matter.

jswillmon
09-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I love my Iwata Revolution CR. great all around airbrush for all auto modeling situations.

willimo
09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I vote other, I have a Paasche VL that works excellently, and it was quite inexpensive.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I can only comment on the airbrushes I have. I have a Rich AB 200 that's a fineline airbrush made by Iwata. It kicks ass. As for the other Iwatas, I only hear good things, but I've never used one.

I have a Badger 150IL, decent airbrush but finnicky to assemble/disassemble and clean.

I have a Paasche VL, big improvement over the Badger 150, easier to keep clean. Requires more air pressure for some reason.

My workhorse is a Badger 175-T Crescendo. It rocks. It comes w/three tips, but I really only need the medium tip for painting bodies. It has much better flow than the 150 or Paasche VL (also has three tips/needles but it just doesn't flow like the Crescendo).

I have an Aztek/Model Master that I like but the needles are prone to early wear, you really can't completely cut off the flow of paint when you're pushing the air trigger. It's good for metalizers.

As someone else said, your technique is more important than the airbrush you get. As long as you get a quality brush, you can do wonders with it. Iwata, Paasche, Badger all are good choices. Just get one and start painting. I know more people who live in fear of an airbrush-they have one and it gathers dust... :disappoin :rolleyes:

MidMazar
09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Ican't really tell you what airbrush you should get because i myself am looking for a new one, i currently have an aztek airbrush and i really dislike using, prone to breakage, nozzles and airbrush are a pain to clean in my opinion. Not to jack the thread, but are iwata and badgers easy and quick to clean?

mike@af
09-07-2005, 06:58 AM
I know more people who live in fear of an airbrush-they have one and it gathers dust... :disappoin :rolleyes:
Wayne

willimo
09-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Not to jack the thread, but are iwata and badgers easy and quick to clean?

Yes. While at first, they may be a little tedious because they require disassembly, from what I've seen this becomes very easy and quick with experience. When I first started I would spend more time cleaning than I would airbrushing, but now I clean it so quickly it's worth it to bust out the airbrush to paint just a couple small details.

ImolaEK
09-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Yes. While at first, they may be a little tedious because they require disassembly, from what I've seen this becomes very easy and quick with experience. When I first started I would spend more time cleaning than I would airbrushing, but now I clean it so quickly it's worth it to bust out the airbrush to paint just a couple small details.

Same here. My Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS is incredibly easy to clean. Its just like my Paasche VL. Both are from the bottom thing (not gravity) python? I forgot how its called. My Badger 100SGF is gravity feed and is even easier to clean since its for nails and has a very little cup to hold paint, thats why i dont use it anymore.

MidMazar
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
thanks joeham and willmo

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Wayne

Get w/the program, that's BRE350Z :icon16: He's got a new Badger 175 Crescendo to play with. After seeing how bad his first attempt to spray a body was, I tried spraying his Aztek and it was awful, the tip was very badly worn and a new one didn't fit all that well either-you couldn't cut off the paint flow and it's supposed to be dual-action. He tried my Crescendo and loved it, and got great results w/his light blue metallic Cobra race car. He bought one from Bear Air and got a great deal on it. I will make sure he uses it :evillol:

As for cleaning, using pipe cleaners and thinner, I can disassemble and thoroughly clean the brush and paint cup and have it back running in a few minutes. No tools needed to disassemble/reassemble, unlike some airbrushes.

dag65
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I made this nice little pole for you all to use, but no.. You have to ignore it. Es ok! :disappoin

:lol2: I'm into this Eclipse HP, lets see if anyone else chimes in. This board seems semi-dead since I used to frequent it last.

We have responded as well as we thought you might want a bit more detailed info on the airbrushes other than just "buy this one"

blueboost
09-07-2005, 10:25 PM
We have responded as well as we thought you might want a bit more detailed info on the airbrushes other than just "buy this one"

I forgot to click view results, so I didn't see any votes when I posted that. :lol2:

mickbench
09-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I use a Badger 200, I was told my an airbrush online shop it was a poor brush when I went to buy a compressor for it, and was told it was cheap, and so a really expensive compressor was required..

I've since learnt from this site that this was a crock of shite... And it might be cheap, but it is not rubbish. I use mine all the time.. I airbrush all the parts that I don't spray with auto or TS spray cans...

It's a cheap brush, but hey does me just fine..

fwdfreak
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Iwata Revolution CR- (Gravity feed), no question about it, I have heard alot good feedback on this one.

mijcam
09-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I bought the Iwatta Revolution and am very happy with it clean up is easy and spray is real nice . The price is right also.I use the gravity feed and find it holds enough paint . I never paint more than a body at a time . I have to imagine any Iwatta would be great. You have to look at your budget and what your trying to acomplish. Good luck !!! Its usally the user that makes a good paint job as stated.
Jim

MustangMuscle
09-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I initially bought the Iwata Eclipse BCS, a very nice quality airbrush for the price ($75 at coastairbrush.com, very competent guys from Anaheim CA). But then I encountered some problems with acrylics like Tamiya, it would not spray them correctly no matter what the thinning ratio. I found out the nozzle is only 0.35mm, whereas thicker paints like acrylics (at least the glossy ones, the flat ones spray ok through the BCS I must admit) require a nozzle at least 0.5mm in size.

So I bought a Revolution CR, and now use it almost exclusively, except for detail jobs. It sprays everything very well, is a solid piece that's nicely built (all metal, precision machined), the only little drawback is that the included wrench is neede to clean the airbrush thoroughly (inside the nozzle). In comparison, the Eclipse is all thumb-screw construction, no wrench needed for usual thorough cleaning. Another limitation of the Revolution is that, due to the nature of the nozzle inside geometry (not a cone like the Eclipse), it does not spray paints with rather big flakes (it clogs). However, so far I have sprayed a lot of model paints with metallic flakes and did not have a single problem. A very good airbrush really!!

About the Revolution "jar" size, I found it is very adequate for most of my paint jobs, including car bodies. If there is not enough paint for my session, I just refill it and put back the metal lid (in fact, for metallics, it is even better than my eclipse bottle, because I can put my thumb over the little vent hole on the lid, and shake the airbrush to mix the paint every 20s or so - the fit of the lid is so tight that no paint seeps through the joint!)

n2oinblood
10-09-2005, 05:29 PM
so i don't know much anything about airbrushes and i need one too. so i'd like someone to answer these questions. what's the best hobby one you can get for $150 or under? and is the badger 200 a decent airbrush?

fastmaxxcooper
10-09-2005, 08:57 PM
i have the cresendo 175 and its perfect. its easy to clean if u keep everything hand tightened.

Add your comment to this topic!