Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Are 4-Cylinder Automatics Underpowered?

subarucurious
09-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm about to buy a 2001 or 2002 Outback. I don't really want to spend the extra money for the 6 cylinder, but in test driving a few cars (all automatics...that's what I want), the 6 cylinder did seem stronger. What do the 4 cylinder owners out there say?!

mrfixit64857
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I may risk sounding like a broken record, but I really have enjoyed my (wife's) '99, four cylinder automatic, outback sport. I was first amazed at its passing capabilities, and later with its endurance. And when it came time for new spark plugs, getting to them was easy as pie, altho the new WIRES were about $55 for the set.... anyway, We had three adults (about 650 lbs worth) in that car on a trip from Missouri to Florida with all our luggage and supplies. Never bogged down or lost speed on the hills, all that AND 32 mpg. I'd buy another one anyday.

BlueRoo'02
03-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I used to own a '97 Outback Limited and it did seem as though it had more power then my '02 Outback 4 banger, probably because Subaru added 200 pounds to the cars heft in 2000. When I test drove the car in 2002 I knew it was rather slow, but that doesn't necessarily mean dull. The boxer 6 will be faster and more powerful, but also prefers to drink '92 octane and costs quite abit more.
I just finished paying mine off last month after 4years and I am happy with our decsison to go with our flat4. Every model cycle (4years) the Outback gets much better... the weight was a good tradeoff because our 2002 is a much more stable and solid ride then our '97 was.

Add your comment to this topic!