Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Blazer s-10 auto transmission trouble

abs10
09-05-2005, 08:02 PM
I have a 1995 s-10 Blazer - 4.3V6 4WD automatic and suddenly, it will not engage in any gear in 2wd. The fluid level is OK. It will shift into 4WD and drive, but not 2wd. When I put it into park, it makes a clattering/grinding noise.
Any suggestions where to start looking?
Thanks.

OverBoardProject
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Not too many tranny prople on this board, so we might not be able to help you.

But do I understand you correctly that it'll work properly in 4wd?
When driving? (don't try it on dry pavement)

If this is the case it'll probably be your transfer case.
Which wouldn't be too bad since the job is easier and the parts will probably cost less

Vortec350S10
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
so are you saying when your in 2wd its like your in nuetral? Maybe somebody stole your rear driveshaft! lol.
When you put it in park is it more like a ratcheting noise? I bet your tranny's output shaft is spinning and there is something obviously disconnecting it from your rear end somewhere along- probably in the T-case like overboard said. It ratchets because its like putting your tranny in park when your still moving. The parking pawl in the tranny ratchets.

BlazerLT
09-09-2005, 11:17 PM
I have a 1995 s-10 Blazer - 4.3V6 4WD automatic and suddenly, it will not engage in any gear in 2wd. The fluid level is OK. It will shift into 4WD and drive, but not 2wd. When I put it into park, it makes a clattering/grinding noise.
Any suggestions where to start looking?
Thanks.

It would help if you actually responded.

abs10
09-10-2005, 10:29 AM
It would help if you actually responded.

Hi,
Sorry for not responding sooner. It turns out that it isn't the tranny or transfer case after all - the pinion gear is sheared. Would anyone know what rear ends would swap in with a minimum of aggravation? I figure it may be cheaper to go this route than to have a shop set up a new rear end assembly for me.
Thanks again.

BlazerLT
09-10-2005, 09:37 PM
You shoudl be able to swap in another rear end from 95 or 96 if my memory serves me correctly.

Add your comment to this topic!