Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can anyone with a New Elise Rate your Experience?

dshs
09-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I've been interested in buying a new car and the other day I saw a Elise on the freeway.

My initial reaction was wow...I really want it.
I've since asked around and got
mixed opinions.

so far from what I've heard/read

Cons:
car is very small some say too small
costs way too much for a 4 cylinder engine
interior uncomfortable? < I've heard this from 1 person who rode in a passenger seat not too sure how credible he is

can anyone give me some feedback on how your experience with
your lotus is?

P.s. Anyone with the hardtop is there a storage compartment for the hardtop in the car? or do you have to leave it at home when you want it off. (same question for soft top)

Thanks ahead of time!
Dave

Paganizonda23
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I have never driven one but i did sit in one which is one of the downfalls with the elise. Im sure it is the same with most sports cars but it really is an art form just sitting in the thing. Having said that once you are in it, i thought it was very snug and comfy but like i said it havent driven one. The best thing to do would be to go down to your local dealer and test drive one. With reguards to the engine, i know it is only 4 cylinder, but it is extremely powerful, especially with the car being so light. Hope you dont mind me asking, but what car are you driving at the moment?
Hope this helps

dshs
09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
right now i drive a bmw 3 series but im planning on giving it to my fiance
and get a new car

MonoGrind
09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Ok i'll answer this as i've just found this forum.

I own a '04 Elise 111s, as far as the car being too small I guess it depends on your build, i'm 5'8'' and slim so I have no problems getting in and getting comfortable. However one of my friends who is 6'5'' fits in fine so unless you are some sort of giant there shouldnt be any problems.

The seats are snug and whilst the dont have much in the way of padding I find them very comfortable, my car has leather so i'm not sure what it is like in a standard Elise as i've never actually sat in one. I'm guessing there isnt much difference though.

If you're worried about "only" having a 4 cylinder engine you should maybe arrange a test drive to get a feel for how well these things shift. As i've said I have the 111s so thats 156bhp and I have the Lotus Sport Stage 2 exhaust and induction kit (~20 bhp). Doesnt sound much but when you consider even with the carpets and leather (I didnt go for air-con) the whole car still weighs 800kg.

Even though this car will give most cars you're likely to see on the road it is still essentially a cornering machine - something that really annoys bikers.

Just a side note about the Lotus Sport equipment.....its loud, sometimes when you're driving for a while maybe too loud and i'm sure the neighbours arent happy when I come home late at night. However for a quick thrash the extra noise adds to the whole experience.

The soft top rolls up and fits into the boot with the 4 support beams but still leaves enough room for 2 fully packed backpacks. I dont have the hard top but there is no-where to store it in the car.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Regards

elise190
12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I have owned an Elise since last April. It is one of the best cars I have ever been in. A blast to drive. The 4 cylinder thing is not a problem because the car weighs 1945-pounds! it does 0-60 in 4.7sec so there is no problem with its power. (190bhp) The engine that Lotus used is the same one found in the Celica GT. Here are some pros and cons that I have found in mine:

Cons: The hardtop cannot be stored in the car. some small items in the car pop off (the speaker covers). You have to buy premium gas. There is not much space in the trunk for storage.

Pros: The softtop can be stored in the car, and it only takes 30sec to put on and remove. the engine. the drive. It is tearing up the Autocross competition. The permagrin you get from driving it.

If you want a true driving experience I would recommend this car.
If you want luxury and gadgets in your ride I would stay away from this car. I do, however, find the bucket (unadjustable) seats comfortable. I have taken several long trips in my Elise with no problems.

If you want more feedback I would recommend you look through the best forum for this car: www.elisetalk.com/forums

I hope this helps. happy hunting. :grinyes:

Dr.Gonzo
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
One thing. Why does it need premieum gas since the GTS Celica didn't and they have the same hp also.

speedneed
05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
a BLAST!!!:grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!