Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short Ram vs. CAI

MechanisM
05-08-2002, 03:31 PM
I have an AEM Short Ram intake I put on because I heard it was easier to take care of and that when I installed my DC Ceramics and exhaust it would take a lot of the heat away from under the hood....

Well I put the headers and exhaust on and the intake pipe is still getting pretty hot so I am thinking about switching to AEM CAI.

So my question is, what is the disadvantages vs. the advantages of doing this?

Thanks.

SleeperTeg
05-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Short ram will suck up all of that hot air that your headers are putting off. Your engine does not like hot air as much as it does cooler air. Therefore, if you slap a CAI on, you will be putting cooler air into your engine.

Cooler air = more dense air. More dense air = power.

You make the call.

MechanisM
05-08-2002, 11:34 PM
I know that it will generate more power...
But I am just wondering if that power gain is worth the hydrolock risk and the pain in the ass task of having to clean that air filter.

jOYRiDe
05-09-2002, 12:29 AM
unless u drive through a huge huge puddle and suck all the water throught the CAI, u dont have a problem.

mellowboy
05-09-2002, 02:18 AM
I'd say go with the CAI. Somebody told me that theres a disadvantage about the cai? I think he said its not good using CAI on a very humid day or something. Is this true?

chris hatch
05-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Go with the cold air intake, it will give your engine more horses and keep it cooler, I have aem cai on mine and I heven't had to clean the filter yet. The only thing you will have to worry about is puddles and if you are just get a bypass valve.

Add your comment to this topic!