Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sealed box

jaxle
05-08-2002, 03:19 PM
im thinking about building a sealed box for my subwoofer just because it is way easier, but i read it does not have good midbass range response (and most music with bass is in the midbass range) so what kind of things can i do to still get decent midbass response also in the sealed box? make it small? bigger? put sum kind of material in it? buy a certain kind of subwoofer?

thx

CXHatchback
05-08-2002, 03:21 PM
I've never had a problem with sealed boxes. I kind of prefer them. Ported boxes don't always sound that great, and since they must be tuned to diffferent frequencies, some songs will never sound great. I's give it a shot first.

jaxle
05-08-2002, 04:22 PM
well well designed ported boxes should sound great in most areas, atleast thats what ive read, but there are a lot of calculations and designs need to be exact.

GSteg
05-08-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by jaxle
well well designed ported boxes should sound great in most areas, atleast thats what ive read, but there are a lot of calculations and designs need to be exact.

also, the lower the frequecy tuned, the better the sound quality. ported box aren't that hard to make. my ported box sounds great. frequency is tuned to ~32hz with no subsonic filter on it:eek:

sparq
05-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Midbass should come from your speaks -- subbass should come from, well your subs :finger:

jaxle
05-08-2002, 05:48 PM
30-80Hz Behavior
This is the frequency range that is most important in that it encompasses the vast majority of low-frequency information present in music. Serious audiophiles assign much more importance to good performance in this range than in the extreme low-frequency range.

At moderate power levels all of these enclosure types exhibit pretty decent manners. The ported box and the bandpass designs produce less distortion than the sealed box, but the difference is marginal.

At higher power levels things change considerably. The dual-reflex bandpass, due to the fact that its ports control cone motion over a wider range of frequencies, produces the least distortion and exhibits the best power-handling characteristics. The ported enclosure and the single-reflex bandpass also do a very good job producing high-levels of undistorted bass output, again due to reduced cone motion in this frequency range. Bringing up the rear in this category is the sealed enclosure, which produces higher levels of distortion at high power levels. There is a common misconception that ported designs produce more distortion than sealed boxes. As you can see this is not entirely accurate; it depends on the frequency and the power level.
---------
got this from a jl-audio site ( sparq ;) )

this is what im asking about when i ask about midbass or wahtever

what i want to know is how i would design a sealed box with the best 30-80hz response. i want good quality all around, not necessarily "boomy" bass, but the way the music is supposed to sound.

-=BOOMER=-
05-14-2002, 05:44 PM
30hz to 80hz is not midbass. most good subs have a seperation at about 30hz meaning that they dont produce sounds lower then that effectivly. 80hz is twards the top end of sub range though some people go as high as 110hz. i would saythat if your looking to make some good bass in the midbass get a couple of 10" subs(in addition to whatever subs your running) and cross them over from 80hz to 200hz then you will have great midbass responce.
In my old car i had 2 10" and 1 15" and my entire bass spectrum was excelent.

jaxle
05-14-2002, 06:07 PM
k after being told 30-80hz is not midbase for who knows how many times... i think i get it heh... so quit saying that cos that is not what im asking...:rolleyes:

im asking if a SEALED box with a SUB in IT has GOOD BASS in the 30-80HZ RANGE and how i could make the 30-80hz respone better while using a sealed box. but ive already got answers about that in other forums

Add your comment to this topic!