Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough running

Dj Placid
09-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi there, I am a proud owner of a 205 1.9 GTi and being 19 years of age im very lucky to have found an insurer to insure me for a decent amount (still very expensive). My car now when holding the accelerater at a certain point starts to kangeroo but not badly but certainly enough for everyone in the car to feel it. It sounds like the car is losing power or mis-firing to some extend. There is a clicking coming from the coil which I have just changed and believe it possibly to be arcing/jumping to earth but am not sure wether this is common. It does not however to this when I dont have my foot down on the accelerater or when I have it flat to the floor. Only when say half way for example. My lights also fade and brighten to the same speed of the clicking from the coil almost and gets very bad when any extra electrics are used in the car especially listneing to my stereo system. I have been told it is almost certainly on the electrical side and as I have said I have replaced the coil and spark plugs. Im looking to change the leads as well but I was wondering if anybody possibly has had the same problem or anybody knows how to help me and trust me im not affraid to look at anything has I had my old 205 XE down the the shell pritty much and still have it in the family and it runs sweet as a nut. Thanks to all who reply. Steve

ncampbell83
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
try the alternator, mine did this for a while but the battery light was flashing on every so often at the same time.
neil

Dj Placid
09-03-2005, 10:47 AM
thank you for your reply I shall enquire into the alternater but I do not think my bat lights flashes on well actually now you come to mention it the battery light does sometimes come on very very very very feint but you can make out a light behind it.

Steven Grove
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi,

The syptoms you describe sound like arcing from an HT lead.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!