suspension and tires

jcmmako
09-01-2005, 10:30 PM
My 04 Colorado LS club cab is chewing the front inside tires off the vehicle......I thought it may have been that way from the factory but I have had it aligned twice, balanced and tires rotated. It continues to scurf the front insides right off. Anyone else with this problem and how can you fix it?

Philo
09-08-2005, 11:18 PM
It is unlikely that you have frontend wear on such a new vehicle, but go to a different shop and have them check everything and align it again. I have 22K on my '04 Colorado and just rotated the tires last week for the first time. They started to have a slight cup on the inside of the front tires, and on some roads I could hear a little noise from the cups. It looks like the Generals will go at least 45k. I am not letting anyone with a wrench close to the frontend on my truck. :)

jcmmako
09-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello.........I rotated my tires around 20000 km because I could hear the sound you described from the tires and knew they were not wearing properly. Now that your General tires are no longer new, watch them wear. I know that I will not get 45000 out of mine. I agree that the front end should not be worn but the vehicle does not pull one way or the other while driving. I am having it ligned up again for a second time (even though I have never had to lign up a vehicle before 50000 km)...but I think there is some other problem with the fron end.
GM has already released several technical service bulletins regarding premature front tire wear.....excessive inside tire wear......revised wheel alignment specifications. I am expecting GM to do something about this while the truck is still on warranty. I will let you know what the end result is.

POWERFREAK
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
there's alot of issues with the general tires. from what I've read, if your truck has over 7000 miles, most dealers wont do anything about it and blame it on alignment, wrong air pressure, or not-rotating the tires. There is a service bulletin but not a recall. I gave the service bulletin # to my dealer and he said "he couldn't find anything on it" My tires are starting to wear unevenly after 13000.

there's a ton of posts on the issue on www.coloradofans.com

jcmmako
10-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I went into my dealer and mentioned the service bulletin (I found out about it on coloradofans.com) and my dealer confirmed the bulletin. They have ligned it up with new specs and new tires. GM paid for the tires, the alignment and all associated with this repair. Insist that GM fix it. I have driven 2000km so far and the tires do not appear to be wearing. I have a written statement on my invoice that says any futur inside tire wearing alignment problems will be resolved at the dealers expense. Good luck.............

lizzy065
10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
[i have a colorado 04 that is doing the same thing can you please send me the info so i can take it to the garage for repair. aslo have you noticed any problems with vibration in the front end???v and how is you gas milage??? mine is real bad
i fill it and can only go about 100 highway milaes and its on empty again, im pulling my hair put with this truck. and gm customer sevice is the worst. my truck has been in the garage 8 times now and going back again on friday.

please help
liz

POWERFREAK
10-12-2005, 08:02 PM
[i have a colorado 04 that is doing the same thing can you please send me the info so i can take it to the garage for repair. aslo have you noticed any problems with vibration in the front end???v and how is you gas milage??? mine is real bad
i fill it and can only go about 100 highway milaes and its on empty again, im pulling my hair put with this truck. and gm customer sevice is the worst. my truck has been in the garage 8 times now and going back again on friday.

please help
liz

Check out www.coloradofans.com and post your problems on there. Lots of good people and info...do a search on there and you'll find what you're looking for. If your dealer has had the truck 8 times and can't fix it, you should be able to take some action through your states lemon laws.

jcmmako
10-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I read the posts from Powerfreak he has great advice! Go to coloradofans.com. I found out everything I needed to know on this website. My dealer confirmed that GM has sent out a technical service bulletin on inside tire wear. Any GM dealer can confirm this, so have them look into it (if they claim not to know). They will align your truck with new specifications that will fix the problem (they pay for the alignment) and they will pay for the 2 front tires that are ruined. They may ask you to take original General tires but they are junk so ask for anything else with a half decent tread life (100 000km).....YOu should be able to get this because of the bulletin and htis is what GM has been offering to other colorado owners like me.
If this dealer cannot get it right after 8 times and you bought the truck there, I would suggest going somewhere else (another GM dealer because they will pay) and call customer service with the problem (8 visits) ask them how many times GM needs to fix it? and what they will do for you to compensate you.
As far as the gas mileage goes, you have some other problem here. I have the inline 5 and it gets good highway mileage (relative for a truck). I get around 800km on the 75 liter tank if it is entirely highway (at around 120km/h). Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.

lizzy065
11-10-2005, 06:01 AM
i took my colorado in again they said they see a problem, had it three days, called me and said all gm specs are right with the truck. i called gm they said to take it to a different garage. the funny part was, i wasnt allowed to take it off there yard. the end result is i got a new van. they payed my calorado off completly, i am now a happy owner of a dodge grand caravan. i went 300 miles with the van and used a 1/2 tank of gas........ big differance.

my red colorado is fine havent had any real problems with that 1 .... other than allinment going out but that was fixed and new tires put on, im happy with the red 1.
thanks for the help
liz

Add your comment to this topic!