Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Impressions - Micro-Mark Pro-Etch Photoetching Kit

malsheem
09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
After many failed attempts at home photoetching using less than elegant techniques, I finally picked up Micro-Mark's Pro-Etch Photoetching system.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83123

Looks very good and very complete. Lots of stuff, and decent instructions. With the summer sale, at $99 (rather than $149), it seemed like a good deal.

http://www.quietrage.com/af/photoetch_1.jpg
http://www.quietrage.com/af/photoetch_2.jpg

I'll be using the long weekend to try things out. Need to create some designs to test it out. Will post some results later.

white97ex
09-01-2005, 08:42 PM
awesome. seems like a good investment. can't wait to see the results

D_LaMz
09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Cool, hope you get good results.

robrex
09-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Looks like fun!

klutz_100
09-02-2005, 02:57 AM
VERY interested in the results of this.
Good luck!

ImolaEK
09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Looks like fun!

Yup:) Good luck with everything:thumbsup:

nosliw2004
09-03-2005, 01:55 AM
can someone please tell me what photetching is? is it liek that metal transfer stuff used on tamiya cars? thanks

blubaja
09-03-2005, 01:24 PM
can someone please tell me what photetching is? is it liek that metal transfer stuff used on tamiya cars? thanks

Yes, more or less.

Good deal you got there. How exactly does that kit work? Do you have to feed a sheet of metal through that little machine? Good luck!

malsheem
09-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Metal transfers are more like stickers, not the same as photoetched parts. Photoetching is the process of creating small detail parts from sheets of metal by etching it with a corrosive liquid (etchant). An example of a P/E set ... http://www.hlj.com/product/S27FP2413

The process with this kit is ...
1. Design the artwork.
2. Print it on their clear film.
3. Laminating the photoresist to the metal to be etched (the machine you see is a laminating machine).
4. Put the laminated metal and clear film artwork between clear plexiglass.
5. Expose to sunlight (or 100-watt bulb).
6. Develop the photoresisted metal.
7. Etch the metal.

Seems complex, but I'm taking it step by step. No rushing. My test artwork is done. Since I'm working on a Fujimi Mercedes 190E 2.5 Evolution II, I made some mesh for openings up front, scripts for the rear, and some Mercedes logos for all around. I used CorelDraw 12 to create it.

http://www.quietrage.com/af/photoetch_03.jpg

ImolaEK
09-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Metal transfers are more like stickers, not the same as photoetched parts. Photoetching is the process of creating small detail parts from sheets of metal by etching it with a corrosive liquid (etchant). An example of a P/E set ... http://www.hlj.com/product/S27FP2413

The process with this kit is ...
1. Design the artwork.
2. Print it on their clear film.
3. Laminating the photoresist to the metal to be etched (the machine you see is a laminating machine).
4. Put the laminated metal and clear film artwork between clear plexiglass.
5. Expose to sunlight (or 100-watt bulb).
6. Develop the photoresisted metal.
7. Etch the metal.

Seems complex, but I'm taking it step by step. No rushing. My test artwork is done. Since I'm working on a Fujimi Mercedes 190E 2.5 Evolution II, I made some mesh for openings up front, scripts for the rear, and some Mercedes logos for all around. I used CorelDraw 12 to create it.

:thumbsup: Looks very well drawn! Good jOB!

D_LaMz
09-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice job on the design, but how do you know that its the right scale?

hks_kansei
09-04-2005, 02:50 AM
corel has the measurements on the page, so you can just measure the model, and make to the correct size in corel.

Jaymes
09-04-2005, 05:03 PM
can't wait to see the results

klutz_100
09-05-2005, 04:59 AM

Looks excellent artwork!

Have a guestion though on the connecting bits (sprues?). I noticed that you have put them only on one of the sheets - is that on purpose because you want them to "back-etch" and be even thinner?

I'm just thinking out loud but with your triangualr shaped connectors which, by definition, will have a very minimal contact point with the main part, hence a back-etching effect may result in your parts disconnecting in the acid bath :eek:

Please take this post in the right way. I'm not trying to be smart or anything. I've NEVER etched anything :) I'm just think out loud based on some research reading I've done. If I'm wrong, good! If I'm right and it saves you some bother, also good.

Please share your results though :bigthumb:

malsheem
09-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Looks excellent artwork!

Have a guestion though on the connecting bits (sprues?). I noticed that you have put them only on one of the sheets - is that on purpose because you want them to "back-etch" and be even thinner?

I'm just thinking out loud but with your triangualr shaped connectors which, by definition, will have a very minimal contact point with the main part, hence a back-etching effect may result in your parts disconnecting in the acid bath :eek:

Please take this post in the right way. I'm not trying to be smart or anything. I've NEVER etched anything :) I'm just think out loud based on some research reading I've done. If I'm wrong, good! If I'm right and it saves you some bother, also good.

Please share your results though :bigthumb:

Having an image on only one of the pic will cause it to etch only halfway through, which is good for cutting points and making etched nameplates.

Yes, I, too, am concerned with the thin contact points. This kit can etch as small as a 1/2 point or .007" (approx 1/16"). Nothing is smaller than a 1/2 point, but I still worry. They look very tiny to me, but that's what experimenting is all about. If they fall off, I redo it thicker. After a few times, I'll know the limitations.

I might redo them before I print tonight. Been sidetracked. Sucks getting sick over a holiday weekend.

Jmich
10-26-2005, 11:36 AM
So... how did this work out? I'm thinking of investing in this kit and was just wondering how things turned out and if I'd be wasting my money.

malsheem
10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I got the images printed out on the clear film, but then got too busy to continue with the process. Maybe I'll get snowed in sometime soon, that might give me enough free time (since I can't go anywhere or do anything else) to use the photoresist and actually etch something. I'll post an update when I get a move on.

D_LaMz
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
I got the images printed out on the clear film, but then got too busy to continue with the process. Maybe I'll get snowed in sometime soon, that might give me enough free time (since I can't go anywhere or do anything else) to use the photoresist and actually etch something. I'll post an update when I get a move on.

lol, just hoping it will snow for 1 DAY like last year!

malsheem
10-26-2005, 06:55 PM
lol, just hoping it will snow for 1 DAY like last year!

Well, I'm temporarily in New York for a short period of time, so I'm sure I'll be getting snowed in a lot. Strange having to wear a jacket and it's only October. In Houston, you don't have to own a coat.

D_LaMz
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, I'm temporarily in New York for a short period of time, so I'm sure I'll be getting snowed in a lot. Strange having to wear a jacket and it's only October. In Houston, you don't have to own a coat.

Well, we just got a cold front and I was wearing my sweater on Monday.
Now its pretty warm! :crying:

Captain Mark
10-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Very interested in seeing your results and opinions on this machine - make sure to keep us posted on the progress!

deltableh
10-26-2005, 11:49 PM
It's snowed here already

Jmich
10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Definately keep us posted... may just have to give it a go anyway.

guinsfan
10-28-2005, 10:11 PM
I can't wait to here how it works. I have realy be thinking of getting one, but I have not heard if it works or not.
hope you can post some results soon.

Add your comment to this topic!