Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough paint problem..

jdmstreethatch
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Okay, I have about 12 models that I've purchased over the last 3 years and NONE of them are completed. Something always goes wrong along the build and I want to start a new one to make the next model perfect. I'm definatly getting better but, I always get in a rush to get things done and if I've learned anything, you DO NOT want to rush it. Anyways, one of my biggest problems is painting the body. I start out by primiring the body then painting with tamiya or testors spray cans. The finish on the models is always very rough and never shiney. How can I improve this ?

Thanks

Hawk312
08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
The FAQ has great tips on getting a great finish. Check at the top of the board.
I think the consensus is to start spraying the body with very light mist coats for the first two coats. These coats should not look at all wet, and you should still be able to see the primer clearly through the first two coats. About 10-15 minutes between coats. Then spray a couple heavier coats for complete coverage. If you spray the last coat heavy enough, you will have a smoother finish. However, you run the risk of runs if you are not careful. It just takes practice.
Also, look at the sections in the FAQ about using rubbing compound. That is where you really get the shine.

Sticky Fingers
09-01-2005, 02:28 AM
The FAQ has great tips on getting a great finish. Check at the top of the board.
I think the consensus is to start spraying the body with very light mist coats for the first two coats. These coats should not look at all wet, and you should still be able to see the primer clearly through the first two coats. About 10-15 minutes between coats. Then spray a couple heavier coats for complete coverage. If you spray the last coat heavy enough, you will have a smoother finish. However, you run the risk of runs if you are not careful. It just takes practice.
Also, look at the sections in the FAQ about using rubbing compound. That is where you really get the shine.

:iagree:

It's the final wet coat which gives you the glossy look. Then the polishing compound and wax give it that showroom feel. Personally though, I don't polish out the body paint (as I'm too scared!!). What I do instead is clear coat the car and then polish out the clear coat instead - the finish is glass-like (which is what you're after).

MustangMuscle
09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
if your paint is rough, that means you spray from too far or your spraying stroke is too fast. try practicing on an unused body, spray closer, and slow down your movement. You MUST achieve the gloss you are after in ONE pass, you cannot go quickly over the surface several times and hope to get that gloss, the paint sets too quickly and you will always get a rough texture. Instead, go more slowly from a distance approx. 7 inches away from the surface, focus your attention to where the paint is sprayed, looking at the surface not the paint (this is how you evaluate how fast to move the arm). Remember that the stroke comes from the arm, not the wrist, keep the spray perpendicular to the surface as much as possible.

ImolaEK
09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
The finish on the models is always very rough and never shiney. How can I improve this ?

Thanks

Sounds like some good ol' orange peel. I'd wetsand down with 1500-2000 grit and rub it with some Compound. Later add some Carnauba Wax;)

Oh and the FAQ is very useful.

2.2 Straight six
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
i have about 12 models half-finished sitting around...an i get rough paint too, well i haven't tried doin it properly yet

jdmstreethatch
09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
thanks for all the tips guys. Im currently working on a Opel Astra V8 Coupe and a Toyota Low Rider Truck. Im about to spray the body on the truck so we'll see how that goes.

thanks again!

g00eY
09-03-2005, 11:35 AM
good luck! i guess now i need to start slowing down my spray pattern. i usually go after the several fast strokes for my last coat.

Add your comment to this topic!