Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission

camry63
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I just got a junkyard transmission installed, and I have 3500 rpms @ 60 mph....something wrong? What should I do?

Brian R.
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
If the fluid is not fresh, try flushing the transmission.

Sounds like you are not getting into OD. Maybe your OD button isn't connected or not working.

Download the '94 maintenance manual from the sticky at the top of this forum and go through troubleshooting for both the OD button and the transmission shift linkage. Maybe the shift linkage is not adjusted correctly.

ProMan
09-02-2005, 03:20 PM
If the car runs good, the tranny is good mechanically. I would say it's a electronic problem. It can be as simple as a connector not put right, or as bad as TCM.

Orangecrate
09-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Double check any wires that may have inadvertently been damaged when you were tightening up the mounts. There is an overdrive kill switch on my 90 Camry, I presume that there is one on yours as well. Can you verify that it is working correctly?

Kep

Soilent Green
09-03-2005, 04:44 PM
If the fluid is not fresh, try flushing the transmission.

Sounds like you are not getting into OD. Maybe your OD button isn't connected or not working.

Download the '94 maintenance manual from the sticky at the top of this forum and go through troubleshooting for both the OD button and the transmission shift linkage. Maybe the shift linkage is not adjusted correctly.
My '98 Camry is shifting pretty stiffly, especially the second gear. I'd go through that guide, but do you think most of what's in it will apply to my year cause I'd like details on how to make it shift smoother.

Brian R.
09-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Some parts will be applicable, but I don't know how much.

First thing I'd try is a flush.

Toysrme
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Everything of note will be. It's the exact same transmission. Some of the controlling components will be a slightly different style, but it will be so muhc the same there won't be a problem.

Ditto on the fact that you're not getting into O/D.

Here's the shifting pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Toysrme/Answers/Trans-DiagII.jpg

As you can see from the pattern the shift solenoids are hooked up & functioning - so the installation should be OK, less they took the console out.

Probably something wrong with the O/D button. When you depress it the O/D light should come on. When it's pressed in it should be off.

Add your comment to this topic!