Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Filter Replacement

chigger23
08-31-2005, 01:09 PM
98 Blazer LT Baby,

Saw one other post on this but it didnt go into do much detail other than the location of the fuel filter.

As far as replacement what do you do

For example Step one, Step Two. It can not be that hard to do, just dont want to f it up and have gas come spilling out of the enginie or tank.

clariveros
08-31-2005, 01:20 PM
The fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail, on the drivers side it is about half way between the wheels, just be careful taking it off because you will probably get sprayed with gas whe you disconect it. good luck

chigger23
08-31-2005, 01:32 PM
The fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail, on the drivers side it is about half way between the wheels, just be careful taking it off because you will probably get sprayed with gas whe you disconect it. good luck

Totally no help, did you even read my post?

clariveros
08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Have U Looked under your car, and actually try to find the fuel filter, or looked at one int he auto parts store, it is not rocket science! any monkey with a wrench could figure it out.

chigger23
08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Have U Looked under your car, and actually try to find the fuel filter, or looked at one int he auto parts store, it is not rocket science! any monkey with a wrench could figure it out.
Yes I found it, it has what appears to be a small harness on it. Not a problem to get off, however I have no idea how to ensure that gas will not come pouyring out of it, I know a little will, but do you have to isolate the in and out pipes?

Plus someone said something about a line wrench> Not sure what that is.

wolfox
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
1) Get your ass on the ground under the truck, Driver's side.

2) Open your eyes.
3) Look on the inside frame rail between the Front Driver's door and the rear passenger door.
4) If you have the type that bolts into place - use an adjustable wrench on the filter body nut to prevent it from turning. Use a flare nut wrench to remove the fuel line(s).
4a) If you have the type with a quick connect - purchase and use a fuel line quick disconnect tool from any parts store. Use an adjustable wrench on the one fuel line that is threaded to hold the filter nut, again usining a flare nut wrench to disconnect the fuel inlet line.
5) With fuel lines pushed out of the way, remove the filter from its bracket. It's quite snug, but the use of penetrating oil will help loosen it up.

6) Assembly is the reverse of removal. If you have a quick connect fuel fitting, press it back over the output nipple on the filter until it clicks back into place. Confirm that it's seated by giving it a little tug. If she pops off, push it back in firmly until it seats, again, making sure that you feel it lock with a click. (Cannot stress this one enough)

7) Turn the key to the RUN position, waiting about 5 seconds. Turn key off, then to the RUN position again, with a 5 second pause (repeat 5x)

8) With the fuel system charged, get out and look at the filter again, looking for leaks.

9) If it checks out, start truck.

10) Enjoy.

11) Drink Beer.

12) Obtain an attitude readjustment kit from Military surplus. Use on self before posting here again.

Somewhere in there between steps 4 and 5, have some rags handy. Guess what? Your truck's fuel injected. Even with depressurizing the system, fuel's gonna leak out of it. WHen you pop the filter out, a small amount of gas will leak from the "output" suide of the line as the fuel drains out of the injector assembly. No need to worry much about the tank/supply side... fuel pump's not running so you should not see more than a few drops. If you don't like the idea of handling fuel - drop the truck and your filter off at the mechanic's. They can do it in 10 minutes.

Da Wolfox is Back! Who misses me?! :D

clariveros
08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
12) Obtain an attitude readjustment kit from Military surplus. Use on self before posting here again.

Hehe thanks
:naughty:

wolfox
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Hehe thanks
:naughty:

No problem, we gotta watch the nice people. :) Gotchyer back, Bud.

BlazerBoyLT98
08-31-2005, 02:41 PM
HAHAHA I almost pissed my pants! :bananasmi I missed yea buddy!

DINO55
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Hope your comes off better then mine did on my 98, I don't think the previous owner ever changed it out. It took me 1 hour to get mine off without twisting the fuel lines off with it, I had to use the Dreaded pipe wrench's on it and brace the lines at the same time. My tip to you is when installing the new fuel filter, Put a dab of Anti seize compound on the threads, then put it together as normal. Good luck...

97BlazerDude
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Hope your comes off better then mine did on my 98, I don't think the previous owner ever changed it out. It took me 1 hour to get mine off without twisting the fuel lines off with it, I had to use the Dreaded pipe wrench's on it and brace the lines at the same time. My tip to you is when installing the new fuel filter, Put a dab of Anti seize compound on the threads, then put it together as normal. Good luck...

My tip is to wear eye goggles. Gas stings the eyes. I can't remember if I read that on the back of the new fuel filter packaging or if it was because some gas fell in my eye and I ran screaming around and around my Blazer like a lunatic for 5-10 minutes and then blindly groped for the garden hose and sprayed several gallons of water in my eyes until I could breathe again normally. Oh yeah, it was because some gas fell in my eye and I ran screaming around and around my Blazer like a lunatic for 5-10 minutes and then blindly groped for the garden hose and sprayed several gallons of water in my eyes until I could breathe again normally.

I used my wife's dishwashing liquid to help squeeze the new filter in to the tight bracket.

Usually there are installation instructions on the back of the new filter package.

s10blazerman4x4
08-31-2005, 08:45 PM
My tip is to wear eye goggles. Gas stings the eyes. I can't remember if I read that on the back of the new fuel filter packaging or if it was because some gas fell in my eye and I ran screaming around and around my Blazer like a lunatic for 5-10 minutes and then blindly groped for the garden hose and sprayed several gallons of water in my eyes until I could breathe again normally. Oh yeah, it was because some gas fell in my eye and I ran screaming around and around my Blazer like a lunatic for 5-10 minutes and then blindly groped for the garden hose and sprayed several gallons of water in my eyes until I could breathe again normally.

I used my wife's dishwashing liquid to help squeeze the new filter in to the tight bracket.

Usually there are installation instructions on the back of the new filter package.

That sounds funny to see not to experience actually laughing my ass off as i read that.Wolfox glad ur back big guy.

herkyhawki
09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Anyone who lives in eastern half of USA should keep these instructions, and a new filter close by.
Because of the Hurricane damage, we will be getting gasoline of widely varying quality for the next couple months.

BlazerBoyLT98
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
My Fuel Filter was also a pain in the ass to get off! But once I did the new one went on easy except for the fact that I had to reuse the original plastic clip off the old fuel filter. But yes googles gloves and whatever else you can wear to protect yourself is a good thing.

s10blazerman4x4
09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Anyone who lives in eastern half of USA should keep these instructions, and a new filter close by.
Because of the Hurricane damage, we will be getting gasoline of widely varying quality for the next couple months.
That should go for the whole country as they have waived the fuel blends in the whole country which means most of you guys are gonna be getting gas which your truck might not be used to

Add your comment to this topic!