Page updated on 11-19-2017

Looking to buy 99-01 cougar

ttoommssmmiitthh
08-31-2005, 01:44 PM
After having a POS Granx Prix for the past year with more problems than you cant count on 10 sets of hands, Im checking out new cars. I live in Michigan so American cars are cheap up here. I was looking at Mercury cougars and just wondering whats the reliability like on them/problems. I noticed a big problem with them was the alternator, but other than that didnt see much.

TrAuM-D
08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Sup bro...from what i kno, there's alot of "liabilaty" wit these cars...from sunroofs to alternators like u said, my advice...not worth the "what if?" u kno?...I just got a 99 V6 bout 2 months ago...even though knock on wood, i cant report any Major problems...my sunroof went bout 2 weeks after i got it...and my check engine light was goin on and off sparaticaly...just found out it's an o2 scensor...so yeah...i really like my Cougar...but wouldnt suggest it to anyone else...good luck on findin a car bro...

jakegday
08-31-2005, 11:14 PM
yeah, the sunroof is a big one, if you get a 99-00 that still has the stock sunroof, you WILL be replacing it, and you will pay around $1000 for that, unless you find a shop like i did that will just close it for $100, OR unless its already been replaced, then you get lucky....
my wife has had hers for 2 years now and the problems shes had was the sunroof, and a battery (but thats expected), she also had some gasket go in her engine that caused it to stall at stops and idle really rough, i cant for the life of me remember what exactly it was but we had to replace the "set" it wasnt just a single gasket, and i know it wasnt the head gasket, i thought that was kinda shitty for an engine that only has 45000 miles on it to this day to have that kind of a problem
also, we just replaced the brakes (4 wheel disc brakes) and we had to special order them cuz they have electronic sensors in them

jpolicke
10-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Look at something - ANYTHING - else. This is the worst car I've ever had. Bought it as a lease turn-in with 6000 miles. Clutch in torque converter disintegrated at 20k, had trans & radiator replaced. (So much debris was in the trans cooler it couldn't be cleaned, hence the radiator.)
Next the plastic gas tank warped, tank & fuel pump were replaced. (Note to Cougar/Contour/Mystique owners - I've seen a lot of discussions about how the car eats fuel pumps, has "inaccurate" gas gauges - the tanks WARP. Had this on my '00 Contour as well.) Out of warranty the job is priced at $968.
Water pump failed.
The car has been in 4 times for flickering lights - headlights look like a movie projector. Will be getting its 3rd alternator, had the TSB for inadequate wire from fuse block to alternator. They can't fix this car.
Headlight 'smoke' finish is flaking off, lousy illumination.
On top of all of it the car gets gas mileage like an SUV. Never more than 21 mpg. More like 14 - 15 around town.
You only think you have a POS now. Between this dog and my wife's '00 Contour (also had a tank warp, same mpg) I just bought a TC. The other car's going to be replaced with an RSX. I hate to say it, but if quality & reliability are important there's no choice but to go Asian.

HiFlow5 0
10-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Wow, you guys have lots to learn about cars. Every car will have it problems. Things you listed seem like minor things that can be accounted on other brand new cars as well. Brakes have electronic sensors, but most new cars have those now, no big deal. Alternator's, are another common problem. You guys are talking about like things to nit pick at. Where as these Duratec motors are actually very good and can support higher miles.

My girlfriend has had her 01 cougar over a year now, with no major problems besides the alternator. I help do regular maintance on the car, and it runs top notch with great gas mileage. Usually around 21-24 mpg. So whoever said something about 14-15 mpg must have some other issues they are unaware of.

Again, I will stand by this car as I have worked on them and drive them daily. As long as you know the history and buy from a reputiable seller you should have no problems.

jpolicke
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Every car will have it problems. Things you listed seem like minor things that can be accounted on other brand new cars as well... no major problems besides the alternator.... So whoever said something about 14-15 mpg must have some other issues they are unaware of... As long as you know the history and buy from a reputiable seller you should have no problems.

Maybe you're more tolerant than I am, HiFlow. You've run the car for a year and already you're changing the alternator; let me know how you feel when you're doing it for the third time. While you're at it, tell me how other cars were designed by idiots who hang an electrical component as close to the ground as possible and put it in an inaccessible place - where you have to pull an axle to swap an alternator. Simply brilliant.

Now, please name for me all the cars you can think of where the gas tank warps. The plastic deforms and the bottom sags. The guage may read 3/8 to 1/2 full and you're bucking like you're out of gas. (for all intents and purposes, you are.) This fuel starvation damages the fuel pump. I had the Cougar done under warranty; when the same thing happened on the Contour I was quoted $968 for the replacement. I had to call Ford corporate ("We have no record of such a problem") and yell and rant to get them to eat 70% of the cost. I know people restoring old cars that still have the original tanks, this flop won't be around long enough to get old. Ford is pretending to have never heard of the problem, but their warranty department OK'd the claim for the job on the Cougar without batting an eye. And I had the problem on 2 cars! Rare problem?

Yes I get 14-15 mpg on both cars in local driving - same engine & trans. That's local driving with lots of stop signs and lights. On a straight expressway run at 65-70 the cars both top out at 21 mpg. That's with 2 different drivers. I don't drive where you do, you likely have different conditions so I'm not saying you're not getting what you say you are. Let the prospective buyer combine your experience with mine and they have best case/worst case scenarios.

Then there's the electrical problem that goes even deeper than the alternator, that of the lights that continue to flicker no matter what they try. Ford is acquiring a reputation for electrical defects rivaled only by old British trash with Lucas electrics.

The car has sharp styling inside and out which sells it. The 2.5 is a smooth engine and loves to rev. It's just not an efficient design. And it was designed with no thought whatsoever to maintainability - commonly repaired items should be easy to repair. How much history do you ever really know about a used car? I got mine from a large L-M dealer and pulled a Carfax. It only had 6000 miles, for crying out loud, how much history could it acquire?

The car is a major gamble. The used price is low because they have a lousy reputation, but it's far from a bargain. There are plenty of other makes out there where you don't have to constantly make excuses for lots of constant "little problems".

meezy09
10-01-2005, 08:03 PM
my advice dont get the car...but if u do feel otherwise i would tell u to remove both heads...then tell me what u think.

beyondloadedSE
10-01-2005, 11:26 PM
my advice dont get the car...but if u do feel otherwise i would tell u to remove both heads...then tell me what u think.

why did you have to remove the heads? You didnt warp them from overheating did you? :loser:

fwracer
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, im gonna have to agree with some of the guys here. I roll a 99 zx2, same chassis as these cars, and they are supposed be equals, but my friend has blown the alternator twice now, and for the weight that those cars pull around they dont make the power that they need to. And that v6, like jpolicke said, it likes to rev, which means your gonna be sacrificing gas. Reliabilities down, and your not getting the performance for what your buying. Id look into something else.

Fwracer

stratsmith
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I HATE MY 99 COUGAR.
I bought it 6 months ago, and have had over $2500 in repairs on it.
Tranny replaced a month after i get it,
my exhaust manifold melted power steering hose,
electrical problems up the wazoo.
used to get 30 mpg but now i get about 22.
intake gaskets replaced.
This car sucks ass!
I already want to sell it for an import just so i dont have to fix it once a month.
This thing is going to die WAY before its paid off.
Like the other guy said, get an rsx or an eclipse, you'd be better off.

BlazinCougar
10-08-2005, 12:11 AM
if ur looking to purchase a cougar mine is for sale. 2000 blue automatic. cold air intake, full catback exhaust, tinted windows ,power everytihng, new tires, never ahd a serious problem with 55000 miles.

$9500-10000

cdankrom
10-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I HATE MY 99 COUGAR.
I bought it 6 months ago, and have had over $2500 in repairs on it.
Tranny replaced a month after i get it,
my exhaust manifold melted power steering hose,
electrical problems up the wazoo.
used to get 30 mpg but now i get about 22.
intake gaskets replaced.
This car sucks ass!
I already want to sell it for an import just so i dont have to fix it once a month.
This thing is going to die WAY before its paid off.
Like the other guy said, get an rsx or an eclipse, you'd be better off.

I have a 2000 couger that the starter turns over but the car will not start I don't think it is getting fire. have you had a problem like that?

jpolicke
10-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a 2000 couger that the starter turns over but the car will not start I don't think it is getting fire. have you had a problem like that?

I'm assuming you've checked for spark, that you've either pulled a plug or used some kind of tester and know you have HV going thru the wires. I love the cheap little testers auto parts stores sell - looks like a small screwdriver with a neon bulb in the handle; a timimg light with an inductive pickup will also detect voltage in the wires.
Next, have someone listen under the car outside near the rear edge of the door when you first turn the key. They should hear the whirring noise of the fuel pump running for about a second. While you're in the neighborhood consider replacing the fuel filter down there. They should last a long time, but if you picked up a lot of crap at a gas station they will clog.
Now this may sound stupid. ..but what does the gas gauge read? If it is anywhere from just under 1/2, try adding a gallon or 2 - won't need more than that, and try starting. If it starts, you have a warped gas tank. (As I said, I have had 2.) You are likely out of warranty and you don't want to pay the $968 cost so you'll have to call the Ford corporate number in the back of your owner's manual. They will tell you they can't do anything until it's diagnosed by a Ford dealer. This can be a problem as the condition isn't widely known; one shop told me I had "debris" in the tank, I replied he had debris between his ears.

jpolicke
10-08-2005, 02:30 PM
if ur looking to purchase a cougar mine is for sale. 2000 blue automatic. cold air intake, full catback exhaust, tinted windows ,power everytihng, new tires, never ahd a serious problem with 55000 miles.

$9500-10000

Ten grand is way too high for any '00 Cougar - that's a dealer's starting point not a real price. The car just doesn't hold its value that well. I know you've done mods to the car but you don't get the money back dollar for dollar on them, they're something you do for your own enjoyment. New tires - a buyer expects good tires, new ones don't add as much as bad ones hurt the price.
If could get 10k for mine (loaded, roof, leather) it would be out of here faster than an F16 on burner.

cdankrom
10-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm assuming you've checked for spark, that you've either pulled a plug or used some kind of tester and know you have HV going thru the wires. I love the cheap little testers auto parts stores sell - looks like a small screwdriver with a neon bulb in the handle; a timimg light with an inductive pickup will also detect voltage in the wires.
Next, have someone listen under the car outside near the rear edge of the door when you first turn the key. They should hear the whirring noise of the fuel pump running for about a second. While you're in the neighborhood consider replacing the fuel filter down there. They should last a long time, but if you picked up a lot of crap at a gas station they will clog.
Now this may sound stupid. ..but what does the gas gauge read? If it is anywhere from just under 1/2, try adding a gallon or 2 - won't need more than that, and try starting. If it starts, you have a warped gas tank. (As I said, I have had 2.) You are likely out of warranty and you don't want to pay the $968 cost so you'll have to call the Ford corporate number in the back of your owner's manual. They will tell you they can't do anything until it's diagnosed by a Ford dealer. This can be a problem as the condition isn't widely known; one shop told me I had "debris" in the tank, I replied he had debris between his ears.

I am getting gas I found the little nozzle where you check to see if you are getting fuel and the gas came squirting out big time. The fuel gauge is on full. I pulled a spark plug wire and I did not see any spark.

mas&NKS
10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
my wifes 00 cougar has been really good to us. the only thing we've had to do was a new exhaust and tires. so far so good. its all about how you treat a car, and maybe theres alot of lemons in that model. like dodge neons. but id get something diffeerent if i was you. camaro z28. youll get the same gas milage and 4 times the power

mikecox1
11-20-2005, 12:45 AM
After having a POS Granx Prix for the past year with more problems than you cant count on 10 sets of hands, Im checking out new cars. I live in Michigan so American cars are cheap up here. I was looking at Mercury cougars and just wondering whats the reliability like on them/problems. I noticed a big problem with them was the alternator, but other than that didnt see much.

i cant say it enough it is not the altenator the output wire (red) is shorting agansed the car's frame ,dont expect your mechanic to notice after all he or she is trying to make money.people, this an 130 amp alternator!! most big trucks don't have an alternator with this kind of output i had a 1994 caprice cop car it's alternator was 100 amp output as you know (dont act like you dont know) cop cars have alot of lights not to mention the computer,rader raido,ect.... please dont tell me you think the cougar uses this kind of power.look at it like this, most homes in the united states HAVE 100 AMP SERVICE! (to the whole house). if you are into electronics like i am then you know there is know other reason for the alternator to go out than a partial to full short,please, their is a 200 amp fuse between the alternator and the starter agansed the back side of the engine e-mail me for location

Add your comment to this topic!