Air from AC vents stops coming out

paulolee
08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Air from front AC vents on my 2003 Grand Caravan stop coming out after 3 or 4 hours or so. Can hear the blower --but no air.

paulolee
09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
If the evaporator is frozen up. do air still have a way to come out of the vents? Seems like something is blocking the air, preventing the air to come out of the vents.

Do anyone have experienced a frozen evaporator and know the symptoms?

Rottweiler28
09-12-2005, 06:41 PM
If you turn the heater on do you get air from there? If not it may be a blocked AC Dam. I had this problem with a car I had once where I could not get any heat or cold but if I put my hand right next to the vents I could tell there was heat or cold there. I had to take out the dam and blow it out with a air compressor, it was plugged full of dirt and leaves and the such. If not it may also be in the housing where the air blows from the fan into the van. If not it may even be an actuator door (Mind the spelling). These are the doors which open and close to let you control where the heat/ac is going Example: Floor,vents,window. If these doors stop working and stay closed then no air can pass through, usually these are controlled by vaccums, not sure on the vans as I just got mine. It might depend on if you are getting no air at all or just when the AC is on, let me know.Hope this gives you a starting point, although I may be way off base here. Good luck.

paulolee
09-13-2005, 07:10 AM
If you turn the heater on do you get air from there? If not it may be a blocked AC Dam. I had this problem with a car I had once where I could not get any heat or cold but if I put my hand right next to the vents I could tell there was heat or cold there. I had to take out the dam and blow it out with a air compressor, it was plugged full of dirt and leaves and the such. If not it may also be in the housing where the air blows from the fan into the van. If not it may even be an actuator door (Mind the spelling). These are the doors which open and close to let you control where the heat/ac is going Example: Floor,vents,window. If these doors stop working and stay closed then no air can pass through, usually these are controlled by vaccums, not sure on the vans as I just got mine. It might depend on if you are getting no air at all or just when the AC is on, let me know.Hope this gives you a starting point, although I may be way off base here. Good luck.
I get air when I first turn the car on and for a few hours. On my way to Chicago and on the way back, the air stops coming out 3 or 4 hours into
the trip. I also noticed condensation around the evaporator which drips into the passenger side. That is why I suspect the evaporator being frozed up.

faulty585
09-15-2005, 11:07 PM
the condensation should come out of a port built into evaporator case unless it is plugged by debris.sounds as though you are loosing vacumn to doors for some reason do you hear doors close when u loose the air? i presume you dont get air out of the vents of any sort not warm or cold?

paulolee
09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
the condensation should come out of a port built into evaporator case unless it is plugged by debris.sounds as though you are loosing vacumn to doors for some reason do you hear doors close when u loose the air? i presume you dont get air out of the vents of any sort not warm or cold?
I have no cold/warm air at all. I do not hear doors closing, but I can feel
the air is gradually getting less and less.

jcm108
09-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Air from front AC vents on my 2003 Grand Caravan stop coming out after 3 or 4 hours or so. Can hear the blower --but no air.

I have the same problem on my 2001 Caravan. About 2 hours of driving with heat or air, then air stops flowing out of the vents. You can hear the fan running -- it gets louder when you turn the fan speed up -- but no air comes out.

Dealer couldn't fix it because they didn't run it for a couple of hours and couldn't get the problem to reoccur.

Would love to see a solution to this one...

Thanks,
JC

Rottweiler28
09-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I have the same problem on my 2001 Caravan. About 2 hours of driving with heat or air, then air stops flowing out of the vents. You can hear the fan running -- it gets louder when you turn the fan speed up -- but no air comes out.

Dealer couldn't fix it because they didn't run it for a couple of hours and couldn't get the problem to reoccur.

Would love to see a solution to this one...

Thanks,
JC

I think its an issue with the main acuator door closing. I am not sure if the doors on these run by vacume or not but it would not hurt to check under the hood for vacume leaks.

faulty585
09-22-2005, 08:05 AM
i have seen evaporators covered in road grime and not allow air to pass through when they expand due to cold try switching off recirculation see if it changes the air flow after a little bit?

faulty585
09-22-2005, 08:42 AM
ok peoples have done some research for you and you may want to read these forums if you have ac or heater air problems?http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65065
This is from TSB 24-11-97R:
OWNERS OF NS/GS VEHICLES THAT OPERATE IN CONDITIONS WHERE THE AIR INLET TO THE HVAC HOUSING IS SUBJECT TO FOREIGN MATERIAL, DEBRIS OR OTHER AIRBORNE CONTAMINATES, MAY WANT TO CONSIDER HAVING A MOPAR ACCESSORY CABIN AIR FILTER KIT INSTALLED, P/N 82202509. USE THE INSTRUCTIONS PACKAGED WITH THE KIT TO INSTALL IT.

msmitty
10-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Hope this helps. If the air stops when in a/c mode, and the evaporator
is indeed icing up, turning it to heat at this point will not help unless you run it for quite awhile.(defrosting the evaporator) Check your air flow when you first start it up,(heat and cool) if it's ok, put it in a/c mode and run it , after a couple of hours (constant driving) if your problem returns then I think your icing up as you suspect. But before you condenm, run it in heat mode same length of time, if the same thing happens, I don't have a clue. BUT if it does'nt, I Belive you are low on refrigerant, as the only two things that make an evaporater ice is LOW REFRIGERANT or LACK OF AIR FLOW. Have it checked !!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Stretch58
10-14-2005, 11:02 AM

Do you run it in Recirculation Mode or Outside Air Mode?

paulolee
10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Do you run it in Recirculation Mode or Outside Air Mode?
It happened in both modes.

KManiac
10-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Have you ever driven your van for 4 hours with the ventilation fan on and the A/C compressor off (snowflake button off and not in any defrost setting)? If so, does this condition occur then?

Add your comment to this topic!