Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Dim" No charge light

ulremember
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Hello to all

I have a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham. I changed the alternator due to the engine would die after I disconnected the alternator with the headlights on. The "new" alt does power the engine with the headlights on. Now, the "no charge" idiot light is very dim. When I disconnect the "two wire" plastic connector from the alt, the light goes out. When I reconnect the connector, the light comes back on. I can hear the rpm's drop or raise when I disconnect the battery showing that the alt is charging.
Can someone direct me to the problem or what to check out. I have powered up the air and headlights and the brightness of the "no charge" indicator stays the same.

Thank you in advance

Chuck aka ulremember

Antiburn
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
CUould you of possibly gotten an 80 amp alt insteaed of a 120. Im not sure if our caddys come with 120's but if you got an 80 there is a possibility that the light could come on dimly.

ulremember
08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I am not sure about the amps. The original alt. checked to be charging when checked with a volt meter. ANd the lamp was still on. Do you know where I can "download" the schematic. I will check with an "alternate" lamp, ie. circuit tester.
Thank you again!
Chuckster

Dubkor
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but have you checked the tension on the belt? Sometimes if the belt is just a little loose it will cause slight charging problems.

I think the amprage is problably at fault, though, like Antiburn said. I once put a 76 amper in place of a 94 and had the same problem.

DFBonnett
01-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Don't assume the rebuilt is up to spec. Plenty of them are NG right out of the box, especially from the low end parts places.

MagicRat
01-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Check the ground for the alternator and the engine, or engine and chassis.

If that does not work the fault lies in the voltage regulator, inside the alternator. It probably is not grounded properly internally or is defective. . These regulators are the same for all those older GM alternators like yours, from 37 amp to 94 amp, so it is not an incorrect amperage that is causing the problem.

If the alternator was purchased as being rebuilt, try getting an exhange because that one is defective.

Add your comment to this topic!