Help! Popping Noise in dash when ignition is turned on

andersoncm2
08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I own a 2005 Sunfire with a 2.2 and 5 speed manual tranny. After going about a mile on my way to work this morning, a loud popping sound started to come from the middle of the dash--sounded like from behind the radio/heater controls/console area under the dash. I had just changed oil in the car this weekend, so I thought it could be an engine problem. I pulled over and shut the car off. I decided to start the car again to see if the noise was going to continue; however, as soon as I turned the ignition switch to on, the popping noise started again--without the engine running. I went home and drove my truck to work.

It must be something electrical causing the audible noise--and it is loud. But what could be causing it. I thought it may be something hitting the heat-a/c blower fan, but speeding up the fan did not alter the noise.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. :1zhelp:

matt09524
08-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Make sure it is under your dash or right in front of your firewall in the engine compartment. Besides the heater/ac fan, I can't think of anything in the dash that could cause this kind of noise. Whats the frequency is the noise? Like is it a slow click like your blinkers, or a real fast clcik like sticking a playing card in the spokes of a bike tire?

Add your comment to this topic!