Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 4.0L Engine Sputter - Fuel Tank

Jeepins
08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
As soon as the gas tank gets just a hair below half full, the engine would begin to sputter every so often as I was doing 70mph. I haver similar problems when the tank is at or below 1/4 and I make a sharp turn - the engine wants to sputter and die. Is this a 'drop the tank and see what's up' kind of problem, as far as filter, pickup, etc.? I'm almost positive my gauges are perfect.

myjeepsux420
08-31-2005, 01:11 PM
The strainer on the end of the pump might be all clogged. I do know that when a fuel pump is on it's last legs, they will cut out when the tank gets low. I would recomend replacing the pump and strainer, because it definately sould like you have a fuel supply problem.

Jeepins
09-01-2005, 09:31 PM
My understanding is that the pump, filter, pickup, sender, etc. is in one main unit inside the tank. I'm pretty much convinced that I need to drop the tank and inspect/replace this unit. Heard it's about $200-$250 for this part. I have the service manual and doesn't look too difficult to do this but was hoping I wouldn't have to. Thanks!

scoobytuff
09-10-2005, 12:21 AM
I bought just a fuel pump for about 80 bucks from O'Reilly Auto parts. This was just the pump and strainer. I had the same problem a year ago and that fixed it.

CanaMark
09-10-2005, 05:19 AM
I must apoloigize for he previous drunk-a-log, s5tilll drunk, whatever

Add your comment to this topic!