Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing 2000 S10 alternator

S10pete
08-28-2005, 04:58 PM
A garage told me my alternator has "excessive ripple" and low charging voltage. They want a fortune to replace the alternator. The vehicle is a 2000 S10 pickup with a 2.2L engine and AC. I'm going to do it myself, so if someone can guide me through the process I'd really appreciate the assist. Also, is a rebuilt alternator OK or should I buy new? What about replacing the belt?

OverBoardProject
08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Rebuilt is fine.

Get another shop to test the alternator first though. I've never heard of excessive ripple before and think that they might be trying to con you out of your money.

The job is pretty easy.
Disconect the - battery terminal
You'll have to find the tensioner, use the right wrench to pull it. Slip off the belt (try not to mess up the order that it's layed out in)
Remove the bolts and wires from the alternator, and slip it out.
1 hour tops
Reverse the procedure to install the new one.
2 people make removing and installing the belt easier

ASE Tech1457
08-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Very Common problem for alternators, they are reffering to excessive diode ripple which is when the diode trio inside the alternator malfunctions. The diode Trio converts a/c (produced by the alt. ) to d/c and when it fails the Alt. is trying to charge your d/c battery with a/c. I run into it all the time, I will try to post a procedure tomorrow, Remember: DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL FIRST!!!!

Reman (rebuilt) is fine I use them all the time and you can get a lifetime warranty on them. get one from Napa, DO NOT BUY AUTOLITE. my buddy is on his 6th autolite in 4 months on his 97 s10 4.3 2wd (good thing he got the warranty huh?)

InOverMyHead
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes, but... I have to replace the alternator on my 2001 2.2L 4cyl, and that darn thing is about half way down the engine compartment and not on top of the engine like most alternators. I've got to take some other parts off that I probably shouldn't be messing with to get to it. Can someone explain the easiest way to get to that alternator?

BlazerLT
09-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Alternator is cheap and the replacement is easy.

Do it yourself, it is so simple.

InOverMyHead
09-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Yes, I know, I've changed them before. Just saying the one on the 2.2L is hard to get to. Sounds like I need to pull out the coolant reserve tank and maybe the fan cover to make room to get to it as it is not located on top of the engine. You can't get to it with out pulling something out - just physically not possible...

BlazerLT
09-09-2005, 10:48 PM
You can get it from below sometimes.

How much do they want to do it?

InOverMyHead
09-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Haven't even gotten an estimate - usually 3-4x what you can do it yourself. I can get to part of it underneath, but it just doesn't look like it can be removed from there. I guess I'll just dive in and hope for the best...

BlazerLT
09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
check to see how much they want. It might not be that expensive.

OverBoardProject
09-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Unless it's a minivan it shouldn't take a shop more than a 1/2 hour to change an alternator.
Say $50.00 at the most in most cities.

A backyard mechanic will charge you about 1/2 that and might even drive to your house to do the job

InOverMyHead
09-09-2005, 11:24 PM
OK - thanks for the quick responses. Planning to give it a shot in the AM and if get in "Over My Head" will call around.

mountaindew69
10-15-2005, 11:58 AM
I replaced the alternator on my 2000 s-10 with the same size engine as yours and it wasn't easy but doable. you will need two people for the bottom bolt on the alternator. one on top to hold the socket on the nut and one underneath the cab of the truck with about 4 feet of extensions and the socket wrench. The other bolts come out with only one person. Good luck!!!!!

mountaindew69
10-15-2005, 12:02 PM
PS: I also accomplished the swap without removing anything else from the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!