Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Holy Moly, Insurance Quote!

neuspeedracer
08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
i was looking for free quotes on Progressive for a 240z. And the insurance quotes are outrageously low. One quote for a 1970 Datsun 240z with 1 traffic violation was 140 a month. Is this right? Im only 16. If this quote is right. then ill be looking for a 240z. Can someone else share their insurance quote? thanks a bunch.

DeleriousZ
08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
yeah that sounds about right, if not too high... cars that old have EXTREMELY cheap insurance.. one of my buddies was paying something around $38 a month for regular coverage... so yeah that sounds right-ish... but you also have to look at maintinence costs... something that old is bound to have a whole lot wrong with it unless you find someone that's done a lot of work to it...

freakonaleash1187
08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
that actually seems kinda high. a car as old as a 240Z should have relatively cheap insurance, especially when you can put it as a classic.

neuspeedracer
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
anybody know any good 240z trader sites? i tried looking at local classifieds. but no luck.

DeleriousZ
08-28-2005, 07:52 PM
they're pretty rare... but autotrader.com is your friend when it comes to stuff like that... just keep your eyes open around town depending on where you live... sometimes people have them stashed away in their backyards and such... keeping them for projects which they never have time for...

longlivetheZ
08-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Insurance...I HATE insurance...I don't even HAVE insurance right now. That word makes me wretch violently and break out in cold sweats...

freakonaleash1187
08-30-2005, 09:13 PM
they're pretty rare... but autotrader.com is your friend when it comes to stuff like that... just keep your eyes open around town depending on where you live... sometimes people have them stashed away in their backyards and such... keeping them for projects which they never have time for...

autotrader.com cant help with trying to find a 240Z. they dont go older than i think it is 1980.

Yaggus
08-31-2005, 03:37 AM
Insurance...I HATE insurance...I don't even HAVE insurance right now. That word makes me wretch violently and break out in cold sweats...

WTF?? You dont have ANY insurance AT ALL? Man i would at least have 3rd party so if you crash into a BMW your covered for their car. I can understand not having comprehensive because that gets pretty pricey, but not having any at all?? :eek7:

longlivetheZ
08-31-2005, 03:47 PM
My insurance company cancelled me a couple months ago and I haven't gotten any yet. Not in a HUGE hurry to, honestly...I DESPISE insurance. Here's the story:

I called my ins. company on fri (whatever the date was) asking if it was ok if I sent my payment in the following monday cuz my ins bill was due on sunday. They said it's no problem, just mail the payment and give them a call later to make sure they got it and to reinstate the policy. Every bill I ever got, for whatever reason, was a "your policy will cancel on ___ *insert date here*, 12:01 am" kinda deal and I don't know why. Well, I mailed the payment on that monday as promiced, called them back to make sure everything was ok, and they said my policy was cancelled and I couldn't reinstate it. I told them to fuck off and send me my money back, which they did.

Insurance HAS to be a conspiracy...the government requires it, the ins. companies pay the government. I HATE it. I've always had to pay REDICULOUS amounts of money to them for no fucking reason...always had a good driving record and always drove a car that wasn't worth that much. I thought this would make the premium lower...guess not. This is why, whoever said that cheap/old cars are cheaper to insure isn't necessarily correct. Ins has NO rhyme or reason to it WHAT SO EVER that I've been able to figure out...

freakonaleash1187
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
most insurance companies are a bitch, but amazingly, i like my insurance company. i am only paying $160/month for full coverage on a 2-seater sports car and im 17, plus, my agent helps me in any way she can. you just have to find the right company.

longlivetheZ
08-31-2005, 06:56 PM
When I was 17, I was paying ~210+ for bare minimum (PIP) coverage on a 2+2, 14 (or so) year old car. Full coverage would have paid for the car again (2100 bucks or so) in...like...6 months. You on your parent's policy, by chance?

DeleriousZ
08-31-2005, 07:24 PM
wtf dude, find a new company.. go with geiko or something... you don't want to be out 2 mil when you injure some bitch that cuts you off and you get blamed for it

moodah
09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
ahahaha.. im 20, and live in sydney australia.. i drive a non-turbo 280zx, and cant get insurance AT ALL.. i have compulsory 3rd party, but noone will cover me for comprehensive.. i could try shannons or justcar, but i know theyll probably be ridiculously expensive. even then if its insured, the excess is going to cost me almost the same that paid for the car, so i might as well wing it, and hope i dont stack it.

Yaggus
09-01-2005, 05:15 AM
ahahaha.. im 20, and live in sydney australia.. i drive a non-turbo 280zx, and cant get insurance AT ALL.. i have compulsory 3rd party, but noone will cover me for comprehensive.. i could try shannons or justcar, but i know theyll probably be ridiculously expensive. even then if its insured, the excess is going to cost me almost the same that paid for the car, so i might as well wing it, and hope i dont stack it.

Run from Shannon's.... very far and very fast. Yes they will cover you, but you will have to sell your next 3 generations of kids into slave labour to pay for it.

Just Car = awesome. I got some insanely wikid deals with them on my 2 cars. But if your car is worth less than 5k then i wouldnt bother. The cost would outweigh the potential benefits IMO. Just as long as you have 3rd party property you'll be rocking.

k3smostwanted
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
im 18 and have 1 speeding ticket on record.

full coverage on my Z is $200/month but full coverage on the GTP is about $250/month.

longlivetheZ
09-01-2005, 04:59 PM
200/mo for full coverage I could possibly deal with...at least I'm actually paying for SOMETHING. I was paying more than that for nothing. This policy I just got canceled from was...like...189/mo, I think...and it was just pip. It was from Progressive. Great company...had my old 86 turbo (with PIP and some coverage on it, which was nice) AND my Prelude (with full coverage) and paid a bit over 200/mo, I think. Something like that. I could deal with that cuz it was worth it. They were great...till I got in my accident. NEVER had one...hadn't gotten a ticket in...hell...years...I don't even know how long...did they jack my rate up (like I thought they would)? No. But they canceled me as SOON as they could. I was a little late on a payment and they gave me the boot with the quickness...they worked with me in the same situation in the past. Then I had to get my policy re-written...THAT'S when they shafted me.

I just hate insurance. I always have. It's such a fucking waste...unless you need it. And even then it's kinda iffy...I had gap insurance on the Prelude and I bet they STILL haven't payed up. I just hope I keep the sunny side up, keep people away from me and keep the red and blues out of the rear view mirror.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
09-01-2005, 10:17 PM
i dont have insurance but thast only cause i lost my job but i have to get it back reinstated before october 14th or they gunna suspend my license because i had a ticket for no insurance already back like a couple months ago and that was because i didnt have a job then i got one got insurance and now i just lost my job because they said someone complained about me while i was driving the work truck which is a Excursion XLT they said i was doing 90mph tailgaiting and cut them off .. now first off obviously IF i was doing 90mph and i was tailgaiting them then they woulda been going just as fast and plus i never go taht fast in my work truck but they fired me over it and i just got a new job working at a pep boys working booktime so its all gravy now i hated working for that boat plaxce

alxpr19
10-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Everyone needs to stop complaing about insurance prices, i'm paying 309 a month for liability on my 1990 300zx.

k3smostwanted
10-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Everyone needs to stop complaing about insurance prices, i'm paying 309 a month for liability on my 1990 300zx.

yeah...that sucks. whats your deductable?

you could possibly move your deductable up quite a bit and move your monthly payment down.

Add your comment to this topic!