Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

first Car

PlayStation3
08-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi, i am planning sometime in the near future to get my first car and i needs an opinion here is what i am thinkin: 95 supra ( not sure what kind i saw them for somewhat cheap) 00 civic si, 99 hyundi tibiron, 3000gt. those are what i am thinkin of getting but i can only get 1 but i am open for any other cars that you might suggest. i have 10k max to spend. i want fast but i also care about looks too.

Zachp911
08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Nissan 300ZX TT or Toyota MR2 Turbo would be my choice for $10k.

SuperHighOutput
08-28-2005, 12:14 PM
If this is your first car, I'll you what I tell every new driver, DO NOT get a fast car. It's a recipe for disaster. Get some experience, at least a year preferably two, behind the wheel before jumping into something high performance. Chances are you will wreck it, you'll probably get a ticket or two, and insurance will be horrendously high. I also suggest a fwd car to start off with, so a Civic Si wouldn't be a bad choice, niether would an Integra. 3000GTs typically have terrible reliability, so unless you're a 3000GT enthusiast you'll want to stay away. A Tibby wouldn't be too bad either. If I were you I'd look at something with four doors as well, they help keep insurance low.

kman10587
08-28-2005, 03:24 PM
You won't be able to push any of those cars to the limit as a new driver, so it's a complete waste of money. My top recommendations for new drivers looking to get into a sporty car are the '94-'01 Acura Integra (LS or GS-R), '97-'01 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (or L), and '94-'99 Toyota Celica GT. These cars are very reliable, willing to be driven fairly hard, and not too fast for your own good.

NISSANSPDR
08-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Integra GSR
Civic Si
200SX SE-R

Not too fast but enjoyable and modifiable

BigBL87
09-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi, i am planning sometime in the near future to get my first car and i needs an opinion here is what i am thinkin: 95 supra ( not sure what kind i saw them for somewhat cheap) 00 civic si, 99 hyundi tibiron, 3000gt. those are what i am thinkin of getting but i can only get 1 but i am open for any other cars that you might suggest. i have 10k max to spend. i want fast but i also care about looks too.

It seems like you're lookin pretty much at imports only, but don't totally overlook domestics. I agree with the guys that a fast car isnt a good idea right off the bat. The first car I drove was a 88 Olds Calias, and I'm glad, cuz I did so much crap to that car and it just died recently. As for cars, the Tiburon isn't too bad, one of the few foreign cars that I like the stying of, and the Supra is always fun. If you wanna look at domestics, you can get a Grand Am or Grand Prix for under 10k and have money left for mods. Those are my personal favorites, I'm a GM loyalist for the most part, but a Dodge Stratus R/T or a Ford ZX2 would be nice I think. I have a friend that had a ZX2, but he had to get rid of it because he didn't have the money, but he loved the car. With a first car, you should also think about reliability. Do some research on engines and such, and make sure you get a fairly reliable one. The GM 3.8 is a great engine, coming from experience with 3 of our family cars. Good luck finding your car.

9ball
09-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Is this a car that you want to turn a wrench on or is it something you just want to put stickers all over? Don't forget the DSM's because they're quite fun to drive. My wife had a civic hatch when I was stationed in Japan (I had a Skyline :biggrin: ) and every time I drove that car I thought about how great that car would have been in high school. Lots of space, almost never breaks, great mileage, looks good in my opinion as long as it isn't trying to look like a sports car. If you want a wrench turner then maybe consider an older Z car, RX7, or Mark 4 Supra. Don't get too caught up in an expensive first car because there are much more responsible ways to handle money at the age of 16 than on a car. Trust me, you'll understand when you're getting closer to 30.

Andrew7dg
09-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Probably this is not what you want to be hearing, "your first car should be something slow" well i am going to say maybe taking it to a medium. You are an import guy, older Civic's HB are slow stock (i am probably going to get some greef over this comment) and is probably not the car you were thinking of when you are thinking supra or 3000GT which i am with them that they are too fast for new drivers. I haven't figured out why buy a FWD car yet when you live in Florida. My opinion is try a Eclipse. Suprisenly they are made in america (if that matters to you or not) AWD 4cylinder motor that comes with 200 hp from factory. 200 hp is not too radical but just enough to get you introuble. If you want good looks go with 2nd gen or if you are looking to save some money go with 1st gen. When you think you have enough driving experience, Mod the eclipse and i have seen them pass supras on the track and they can be easily moded to run faster then a 3000GT.

BigBL87
09-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Probably this is not what you want to be hearing, "your first car should be something slow" well i am going to say maybe taking it to a medium. You are an import guy, older Civic's HB are slow stock (i am probably going to get some greef over this comment) and is probably not the car you were thinking of when you are thinking supra or 3000GT which i am with them that they are too fast for new drivers. I haven't figured out why buy a FWD car yet when you live in Florida. My opinion is try a Eclipse. Suprisenly they are made in america (if that matters to you or not) AWD 4cylinder motor that comes with 200 hp from factory. 200 hp is not too radical but just enough to get you introuble. If you want good looks go with 2nd gen or if you are looking to save some money go with 1st gen. When you think you have enough driving experience, Mod the eclipse and i have seen them pass supras on the track and they can be easily moded to run faster then a 3000GT.

I know you're a newb and i did this too, but try not to post on a thead this old. However, in response to your comments, an eclipse would make sense if he's an import guy. 200 hp, though, unless thats the turboed version, i think you have the wrong engine. The 3rd gen eclipse V6's had 200 hp, but the 4banger versions never got up to 200 hp w/o forced induction. And since I'm assuming you're talking about the turboed version, I think for a first car you want something halfway reliable, and forced induction is just one more thing to go wrong. If you got a 3rd gen with the V6, youd have the same horsepower, nicer looking car (IMHO), and don't have to worry about turbo lag. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the eclipse, but I'll give it the respect it deserves.

HandofDoom
10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Get a peice of shit for a first car.Trust me.I take it your obviously young,16ish.You say you want fast.That tells me right there your a speed demon with a lead foot.I had your mantality when i was your age.My first car was a 84 Trans Am with a good amount of work done to it.I bought the car because it was fast and sharp looking.I wrecked it a month after I bought it.And I still miss that car.And believe me,it was a lesson learned.Get some on-your-own experience with a junker.Im not saying you'll total a car.But a young guy with your mantality,its a good chance.You don't want to wreck a nice car man.
But if you want to go for speed and looks,the late 90's Trans Ams and Camaros are nice and quicker than hell.You can get those for fairly cheap.Im not gonna say much about imports because Im a Domestic guy.But if I were to go import,Id go a brand new Mercedes Benz S class.Good luck man.

GForce957
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
dead thread

Add your comment to this topic!