Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dodge Neon Ignition stuck... Help!!

Oak244
08-28-2005, 03:43 AM
My brother and his girlfriend came home this evening, got out of the car for a few minutes, and she tried to leave a few minutes later. Entering the car again, the Ignition will not turn. The key goes in, but that it. We can not even turn the key to raise the side window which is down now.She has locked the steering wheel, and the brake pedal is now fully compressed in all her attempts to get the key to turn. Any thoughts on why it is stuck, and any idea what to do to fix this? She did say she had a new battery installed 2 days ago, if that might be a problem area, although the interior light works fine. Any help would be great since tomorrow is Sunday so she will be stuck without a car.

palindromelol
08-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Make sure the shifter is in park.

If you are parked on a hill and the steering is under load from a curb or a stone etc, then this will create binding in the steering wheel lock and prevent the key from turning.

Try to turn the key whilst attemping to turn the steering wheel. each way... AFTER you engage the park position.

Oak244
08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Make sure the shifter is in park.

If you are parked on a hill and the steering is under load from a curb or a stone etc, then this will create binding in the steering wheel lock and prevent the key from turning.

Try to turn the key whilst attemping to turn the steering wheel. each way... AFTER you engage the park position.

The car is in Park. it is on level ground, with the wheels slightly turned in to the curb. She tried turning the steering wheel left and right to get the ket to turn, and in doing so, she locked the steering wheel. I have tried turing the wheel and key at the same time with no avail. Is there any way to unlock the steering wheel?

palindromelol
08-28-2005, 11:55 PM
AHA!!!!

I think you jammed the steering wheel lock......I can only think of force.. and monkey hands.....

you could alway disconnect the U-Joint on the steering column under the dash on the drivers side at about knee height..... seems desperate though.....

Do you have the correct key?... jst asking....

Below is useless advice I typed because I'm half asleep... You need to be able to turn the key to remove the key receiver so disregard... I left it there because someone might need to do it someday.

Disregard.....

You can pop the key receiver out!!

Under the steering column there are hmmmmm. 3 holes maybe 4. 2 or three are for screws to hold the plastic cover on. one is to allow a small shafted screwdriver to depress a detent in the Key receiver. Depress the detent and turn the key.

Oak244
08-29-2005, 01:49 AM
AHA!!!!

I think you jammed the steering wheel lock......I can only think of force.. and monkey hands.....

you could alway disconnect the U-Joint on the steering column under the dash on the drivers side at about knee height..... seems desperate though.....

Do you have the correct key?... jst asking....

Below is useless advice I typed because I'm half asleep... You need to be able to turn the key to remove the key receiver so disregard... I left it there because someone might need to do it someday.

Disregard.....

You can pop the key receiver out!!

Under the steering column there are hmmmmm. 3 holes maybe 4. 2 or three are for screws to hold the plastic cover on. one is to allow a small shafted screwdriver to depress a detent in the Key receiver. Depress the detent and turn the key.

Thanks for trying.. Earlier today, I had taken apart the steering column and saw what you are speaking of. And I just tried it again. I used a screw driver, and the spot depresses a tiny bit, but does nothing. The key is the only key she has, and was the one used to get it in front of out house lol. Like I say, they were out in the car, stopped by the house for one sec, went back out to start the car and leave, and well its been sitting out front ever since. I have tried everything I can think of, so I guess she will have to get it towed and fixed, mainly because her front window is down, and since we can not turn the key, we can not get it up. Not too worried about it being stolen though since we can not even move it lol.

palindromelol
08-29-2005, 06:26 AM
maybe a worn key?...

theFREAKnasty82
08-29-2005, 10:26 PM
try spraying the key w/ some WD-40 of graphite spray and stick it in the ignition key. Also spray the inside of the key switch itself w/ some graphite spray and try what was mentioned before by others.

Oak244
08-29-2005, 11:32 PM
try spraying the key w/ some WD-40 of graphite spray and stick it in the ignition key. Also spray the inside of the key switch itself w/ some graphite spray and try what was mentioned before by others.
Thanks all for the help. the car was towed this morning, and last I heard, there was a part the mechainic had to order and it will be in tomorrow.

palindromelol
08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Ha... likely "monkey fisted" the steering lock to the point of failure, and now has to replace it. Let us know what happens.

Add your comment to this topic!