Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 TL v. TL-S

goody2speed
08-27-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a 2003 TL-S, I think. I am a little suspicious, though. When I bought the car it was supposed to be a TL-S, but it did not have the S emblem on the trunk lid. It had the S on the shift lever, and the VIN indicates it's an S type. Performance at the drag strip was about a half second disappointing. I have not dyno'd it but I'm thinking about it.

Is there anything visually obvious about the S type engine to confirm it is what it's supposed to be?

TLgunner
09-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Some of the differences I can think of include:

1) TL-S has open, "V" shaped headrests, TL-P has regular, solid headrests; TL-P seats aren't as deeply bolstered.

2) TL-P has white on black gauges, TL-S has a satin metallic look to them.

3) The TL-S intake manifold is different, so is its plastic cover. The TL-S has a larger diameter TB (TL-P is 2 1/2", TL-S I think is 3" or might be 2 3/4", I'm not sure).

4) TL-P has 16" wheels, TL-S has 17"s. Check the vehicle loading/tire pressure placard on the driver's door jamb to see what tire size is specified.

5) TL-S has VSA in addition to TCS, TL-P only has TCS.

Of course, some of these items can be transferred from a TL-P to a TL-S quite easily, others not so. The VIN number is your best assurance of what car you have.

goody2speed
09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Some of the differences I can think of include:

1) TL-S has open, "V" shaped headrests, TL-P has regular, solid headrests; TL-P seats aren't as deeply bolstered.

2) TL-P has white on black gauges, TL-S has a satin metallic look to them.

3) The TL-S intake manifold is different, so is its plastic cover. The TL-S has a larger diameter TB (TL-P is 2 1/2", TL-S I think is 3" or might be 2 3/4", I'm not sure).

4) TL-P has 16" wheels, TL-S has 17"s. Check the vehicle loading/tire pressure placard on the driver's door jamb to see what tire size is specified.

5) TL-S has VSA in addition to TCS, TL-P only has TCS.

Of course, some of these items can be transferred from a TL-P to a TL-S quite easily, others not so. The VIN number is your best assurance of what car you have.

Thanks. Short of measuring the TB, I'm sure it's a TL-S. I'm just a little disappointed in the acceleration. I expected it to be quicker than my old SHO, but it is in fact about the same.

Thanks, again,
Doug

iVteC_PoWeR
09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
TL-S pushes out 265hp but they are so damn heavy that its not all that quick.

Getovait2005
05-22-2006, 08:56 PM
TL-S pushes out 265hp but they are so damn heavy that its not all that quick.

0-60 in 6.2 Secs... not bad for a mid size.

196 CU IN, 3210cc
260 bhp @ 6100 rpm
232 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
147 governor limited

Add your comment to this topic!