Technical help needed....

ascalapius
08-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi,

I have this rather peculiar problem. I own an ALFA 156 TS 1998 s-reg. NO THAT is not the problem..far from it. Take my wife BUT leave the car.....is what id say.

Well the Problem is - forst the base line revs of hte car seem quite high at 1000 revs.Also whenever i am at a stop and in neutral, the car seems to rev going from 1000 revs to 2000 revs BY itself. I can seem to understand whats going on.....any thoughts ?

Thank you...

franzzz
08-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Hi

Try to run a diagnostic program in any authorized workshop.

For me the problem is the lambda sensor

ascalapius
08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Thank you Franzz. You came through once more. By the way previously when i asked about the "squeaky suspension" problem.....you sent a pic of the problem part......well it turns out that it was the problem.....she doesnt squeak any more.

thanks .

andrewspence
09-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi There
just wondered what the outcome was ?

I have just replaced my radiator due to over heating problems and now have a very irratic idle. Engine pulls well but at idle it swings from 1500 to 500 and quite quickly at that.

Just hope there is no head or valve damage

Thanks

Andrew

ascalapius
09-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi andrew.

The problem was...is a bit complex. I had the variator changed(diesel like sound) and the car serviced. When this was done i was told that i would haev to change the lambda sensor. Ididnt do ti at the time.

Whilst before the idling problem was BAD now its not there BUT it hasnt completely gone . When i downshift and come to a stop the car will idle once or twice and then calm down as opposed to before when it was present ALWAYS and was quite bad.

so the outcome. change the lambda sensor.I think that is the problem.I hope it helped.

andrewspence
09-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your quick reply.
two questions if you don't mind.
What is the Variator - you mention Diesel noise and to be honest I am getting some extra rasp from the front manifold at the moment. How much was it ?

Secondly, did you get a quote for the Lamda Sensor to be fitted ?

Thanks again

Andrew

ascalapius
09-15-2005, 03:11 AM
The diesel noise was to be as techinically accurate as i can, VERY VERY irritatiing. A good example can be heard at www.aroc.co.uk

The lambda sensor, i suggest u buy online. It is available on e-bay.( www.lambdasensor.co.uk) cheapest i could get was 55 pounds. The expensive bosch sensors can goto 98 pounds.The official alfa part causes 80, i think

As for fixing it. The alfa dealer charged me 60 pounds. Private garages quoted me anywhere from 20 to 110 pounds.

Where are you at the moment? I phoned around in the romford area and got a few quotes. If u r here then i could tell u where to go for the cheapest.

franzzz
09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
In italy the Lambda sensor Bosh cost 100 euro.

Add your comment to this topic!