Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission fun...

vilerage
08-27-2005, 02:57 AM
i'm pretty sure my problem is the transmission, but a little confirmation would make me feel a bit better before we try and replace the stupid thing (just did the clutch too, like 1mo ago)

I'm a delivery driver, and my car is a 1991 Honda Accord LX. Bought it for way too much ($2000), it seems to have some minor 'performance' mods... like a 'look-pretty' muffler, and a cool air intake.... anyhow, on a delivery today, I missed the shift point from 1st to 2nd (at about 5k rpms), and BANG! CLANG! Odd, I think.... then, I start trailing what i assume are parts (the only thing I saw for sure, looked like some sort of gasket, and the rest looked like small metal debris) I would have gotten a better look at them, but lucky me, a state highway patrolman was behind me... anyway, after pushing it to a parking lot, it will no longer shift into gear, even with the car off. Starts just fine, but makes a weird noise while running (like pennies in a small dryer). We pushed it about 1/4 of a mile, so i'm not thinking that i busted an axle, and imo, if the clutch was damaged, it probably wouldn't start so easily... anyhow, I was wondering if transmission sounds right to anyone else here... and... if anyone knows a good place on the 'net to get one for this vehicle, or if i'm better off getting one at a junkyard... this is the first honda i've ever had, up till now, it's all been ford ;].

Also, is it fairly common for the passenger side inside door handle to snap off? I've been to 4-5 junkyards to find one now, and at all of them, that particular handle is gone, and honda wants about $50 for the stupid thing.....

deaz
08-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Well, first off... Is it coming FROM the tranny, or from the engine itself? (The tranny is generally on the passenger side of the engine, but if you have done the clutch, you'd know.) Anyway, to me it does sound like a couple busted gears. I just don't understand how letting the engine get above 5k made the tranny die like that, unless there wasn't any fluid in it to begin with. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to just take the tranny out completely and take a look at it. I mean, the car isn't going anywhere right now anyway, and at least you'd have it out, but then you'd easilly be able to tell what's the matter with it, and either a) repair it or b) get a new one.

Were you having any rough shift points in the car prior to this problem happening? Also, how many miles did your car have on it? And if does end up being the tranny, as far as I can suggest, I'd honestly take the extra cash and get a rebuilt one, rather than taking one out of a junker... Because who knows how the people took care of the car, and usually a honda is only in the junkyard because either the people got into an accident, or completely beat the shit out of it.

vilerage
08-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Yea, it sounds like it's coming from the tranny.... bout to go have it towed to the house now. It's got about 200K on it atm, and it's always ground into 5th. Someone really pounded this car before i got it apparently, so this is really no surprise. Didn't take much of a look at it last night when it died, just left it there, and got the wife's car.

Add your comment to this topic!