Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I spent the money

jeddi20
08-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Well i finally broke down and purchased a k&n air filter, and much to the dismay of my wife and several friends i spent 12.99 each on 0.4mm Iridium sparkplugs. i have been running mobil 1 with their filter since i've owned the car and i've enjoyed the gas mileage i've gotten so far. for a daily driver that my wife will be driving 70 miles wound trip, and my driver to work i really like the way this car handles. do yall think a(n) MSD SCI would be worth it for the daily driver? are there any other upgrades that i can do to just that little bit better gas mileage?

deaz
08-26-2005, 11:56 PM
I went to the website, and took a look at the coil... Now, here's my lil question about coils...

I have never replaced an ignition coil, and I don't even know what the stock system can produce. What are the benefits of replacing the stock ignition coil system? Are the stock honda ones really that bad under stress?

Also, how many degrees does the stock coil produce spark at? Because I always have thought that a longer spark duration would actually produce less power. Unless it really is giving you so much more power... If I'm wrong, tell me.

Also, wouldn't you have to replace the spark plug wires to handle this new voltage going into the plugs?

alphalanos
08-27-2005, 12:00 AM
an upgraded coil will provide more powerful spark for the plugs. this will burn fuel better and result in a little better mileage. the easiest way to conserve fuel is to accelerate slowly and make sure your tires are inflated properly, as well as try to avoid using AC if possible.

deaz
08-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, I figured that it would give more power to the spark plugs, but what I'm really wondering is... Does it give any real sort of performance increase, power wise, as opposed to the stock system. Or would you have to do a whole lot more to an engine (turbo/etc.) to make it worth it. And by that I mean, when you are at WOT, does the stock coil tend to give out, or really produce less spark at the higher rpms?

BTW, Sorry to hijack your thread jeddi20...

PS. I hate typing on laptops... I hit every button on here when all I want to do is hit a single key, lol...

jeddi20
08-27-2005, 07:32 AM
an upgraded coil will provide more powerful spark for the plugs. this will burn fuel better and result in a little better mileage. the easiest way to conserve fuel is to accelerate slowly and make sure your tires are inflated properly, as well as try to avoid using AC if possible.

you can say that all you want, but its damn near impossible to live in central Texas with out A/C

deaz
08-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Hell, its impossible to live here in jersey without a/c... Do you realize how humid it gets here, not to mention the fact its never one single temperature per day, let alone any sort of gradual change... We may have summer, fall and winter, but we sure as hell don't have spring... And that means summer comes mighty early for us, lol...

Add your comment to this topic!