Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Rodeo Giving Me the Blues

Bluesax
08-25-2005, 02:10 PM
This Rodeo has multiple problems and I don't know where to start. ABS light is on. Speedometer stopped working. CEL on. Had codes read at Autozone and they came back P0502, P0341 and P0342, the Vehicle Speed Sensor and one (or two, the kid wasn't sure) Camshaft Sensor is faulty. I went to the FAQ's for the downloadable manual but didn't see it. Where do I start? What do I troubleshoot first?

surferfletch
08-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Due for a timing belt change?

Canucklehead
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Due for a timing belt change?
More likely it's time for a new speed sensor and camshaft position sensor.

Bluesax
08-25-2005, 04:30 PM
More likely it's time for a new speed sensor and camshaft position sensor.
Thanks Steve,
Do you know how I get the manual online that would show me how to change the sensors? i ain't going to the dealer.

James

Canucklehead
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks Steve,
Do you know how I get the manual online that would show me how to change the sensors? i ain't going to the dealer.

James

Not sure about 2nd Gen. Rodeos but I'm sure Ryan or Joel will be able to shed some light on the subject.

rodeo02
08-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Did all these problems occur at the same time? You will typically loose your speedo if it does not get a signal from the vehicle speed sensor. The VSS is located on tailshaft of the trans. The camshaft position sensor (I believe) is located under the timing belt cover on the right/drivers side of the engine. It reads off the cam sprocket under there. The ABS light might be on due to the VSS. These issues might all be tied together on the same circuit. Check wiring and fuses first!
G/luck
Joel

amigo-2k
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=437009

manual link

Bluesax
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Did all these problems occur at the same time? You will typically loose your speedo if it does not get a signal from the vehicle speed sensor. The VSS is located on tailshaft of the trans. The camshaft position sensor (I believe) is located under the timing belt cover on the right/drivers side of the engine. It reads off the cam sprocket under there. The ABS light might be on due to the VSS. These issues might all be tied together on the same circuit. Check wiring and fuses first!
G/luck
Joel

Thanks alot. This is the best group around. Another question. I saw a link somewhere for a place to buy sensors online and now can't find it. Anybody know the one I'm talking about?
James

amigo-2k
08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
for oem parts the usual suggestion is St. Charles isuzu. Mention you found them on the web for their discount.

rambo1214
11-30-2005, 12:59 AM
I found a CPS for $104 made by ACDELCO on rockauto.com or I've found one made by Wells on autozone.com for $170. I find these because I don't like to deal with the dealers on most parts.

surferfletch
12-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Bump to find out the fix....

Add your comment to this topic!