Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tail lights won't turn off

jimmy_h
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
It's been a little while since I posted, mainly because the century has been behaving. I have a problem now though. I went to start it up to go to work a couple days ago, and it was dead. I charged the battery when I got home later in the day and everything was fine, until I turned the car off. I noticed that the tail lights are on, even when the headlight switch is off. Is there anything I can try? I'm guessing the headlight switch should be the first thing I change? Thank you

Jimmy

jimmy_h
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM
just an update on this problem. I pulled the headlights control switch out and the tail lights still won't go out. Is there some kinda relay somewhere that I might be able to change? The headlights work like they should by the way

tri-power
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Are you sure the brake switch on the pedal isn't sticking or out of adjustment?

jimmy_h
08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
That's what I was thinking too. It's the dim tail lights that you normally get when you turn the headlights on. When I step on the brakes the lights get bright like thier supposed to, just that they won't turn off even after the ignition is shut off.

kok328
08-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a short in the system somewhere. As I recall, the brake lights are powered all the time and stepping on the brake pedal, completes the ground circuit. :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!