Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is this a dumb question? battery drainage

drdd
08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
So I've noticed, when I first turn on my truck in the morning, the volt meter rises fairly quickly to 14 when I have all the elec accessories off (lights, radio, AC). However, when I start it up (particularly with the AC on), the volt meter takes longer to get to 14 (maybe 4 - 5 seconds).

Will I save battery life if I start the truck with the AC off as well as other elec load off?

BTW, My battery and alternator are brand new.

BlazerLT
08-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Yes, let you truck warm up before you turn the AC on.

Plus starting it with th AC on is asking a lot.

Leave everything off until you are driving away.

Never load a system a idle.

drdd
08-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks BlazerLT. Thats what I figured but I thought I'd double check. I do disagree with one thing you said ... " ... starting it with the AC on is asking alot ...". God bless the wizards at GM. I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle to handle all elec loads at all time. It's not uncommon for people to start their cars with the radio on, the lights, and the AC or heater or any combination of these. GM should have addressed this in the owners manual. OR they should've given us a space-shuttle type checklist to start the vehicle! first the ignition, then lights, then AC, then set for lift-off!

Seriously though ... enough venting! Haha!

So, why no full elec load at idle. Isn't this when the truck ought to be able to handle its maximum load? when its not driving ... or, are you saying that, in general, we should avoid putting the full elec load on our trucks in general because their not designed for full elec load unless there are increase rpms?

Yes, let you truck warm up before you turn the AC on.

Plus starting it with th AC on is asking a lot.

Leave everything off until you are driving away.

Never load a system a idle.

Rmbodie
08-25-2005, 04:47 AM
My AC compressor is delayed on another GM car 2000 year model . It does not cut on for at least ten seconds. And all assessory power is cut off too Which compensates for that first start load on the battery. I know a previous 97 year GM car also did that . If your compressor is being turned with the engine at startup , You may have another issue malfunctioning . Hope not , We don't need more to write about . Rob

Rmbodie
08-25-2005, 04:55 AM
Also even at idle , with a volt meter (not the dash gauge) , if you have 12 volts or more , your battery is still being charged . The alternater is carrying the full load . But I am sure this will cause much debate . Rob

Allbert
08-25-2005, 07:30 AM
One failure mode I know of from my work as a blower motor warranty engineer is the permanent magnets in some motors can be de-magnetized by a large sudden inrush of current, such as occurs when you key on with your fan control on high during cold weather. This de-magnetization degrades performance of the motor and can lead to failure.

cobradude360
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
i agree with blazerlt i mean its kind stupid to start ur car with the ac on or blower motor on full blast cuz it puts a hevay load on the engine right from the start plus in the winter it will only blow cold air for a lil bit makeing u colder and in the summer it will blow hot air imediatly for a lil bit. hope this helps also when ur driveing the idle is a lot faster thus meaning the altinator is making alot more power to supply ur acceserys to the fullest

BlazerLT
08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks BlazerLT. Thats what I figured but I thought I'd double check. I do disagree with one thing you said ... " ... starting it with the AC on is asking alot ...". God bless the wizards at GM. I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle to handle all elec loads at all time. It's not uncommon for people to start their cars with the radio on, the lights, and the AC or heater or any combination of these. GM should have addressed this in the owners manual. OR they should've given us a space-shuttle type checklist to start the vehicle! first the ignition, then lights, then AC, then set for lift-off!

Seriously though ... enough venting! Haha!

So, why no full elec load at idle. Isn't this when the truck ought to be able to handle its maximum load? when its not driving ... or, are you saying that, in general, we should avoid putting the full elec load on our trucks in general because their not designed for full elec load unless there are increase rpms?

Sure, it can probably hold it, but you are putting maximum stress on your electrical system when the alternator is at its lowest spinning rate.

If you want to use the AC, put the fan on low and hit the recirculate button to cool the cabin off faster with as low of a load at idle.

Add your comment to this topic!