Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NHRA Memphis National

08-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I just watched the tape and what an amazing event.

.000 light .

1 guy left before the tree was activated.

1 pair ran the exact same et.

another pair had identcal RT's.

another pair ran the exact mph.

First time TF winner.

Lots of very close races. A lot of times if the temp is real hot there will be lots of cars going up in smoke but for some reason at this event most tuners had a handle on it and there were lots of races decided buy just a few thou.

And it was hot. Lots of spectators transported Sat for heat prostration.

chevytrucks92
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
That's awesome. I only got to watch the 1st round though. WJ got treed again, by the same person.

08-25-2005, 12:11 PM
WJ lets them screw with him instead of being proactive and screwing them first. I was telling the wife that when he do stuff like light his top bulb first and then the second the other car lights their top bulb WJ should light his 2nd bulb. This would make the other driver feel rushed and maybe lead to a mistake.

Next time he could go straight from the burn out to the prestage beam and then wait for the other car to light their 2nd light no matter how long it takes.

Another thing that happened at Memphis was Yates took too long to stage and got counted out so the other lane got a bye.

Earlier this year Brandon Bernstein had a bye run and screwed up the burnout and killed the motor so that he could not take the green and therefore was eliminated.

The craziest thing I have EVER seen happened a couple of years ago. Force was racing somebody and the other guy left before the tree was activated and Force reacted to that and he left before the tree was activated and due to a rule that had just been written both drivers were eliminated. Force was HOT. He got over it and apologized on TV for being so POed. In the past it was always 'first or worst'.

chevytrucks92
08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah, WJ makes "rookie" mistakes when people try to play those staging games with him. I mean as a racer, you know the ones that are going to try to mess with ya at the tree, and no more then I've drove, I ALWAYS bump my 2nd bulb as soon as they light there 1st (when I know its a driver that's going to try to have a staging duel). And you're right. It does throw the other person off, because their mindset is already set for a staging game, and when you don't play along, it messes them up big time.

And yeah, Jim Yates messed up bad by doing that.

Add your comment to this topic!