Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

car shaking at 65 mph

dryflyfishn
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
My 02 mitsu galant runs great, but not when i get to 65 mph. it will do just fine but when i accelerate to pass or climb a hill the front end starts to shake violently. i just had an alighnment done with all the works, rotors new tires new brakes. i just took a trip and for about 600 miles it did great then i noticed it for the last 200 and its been doing it since. What can i do to fix it. ive heard it could be a miss. i have looked at everything and it all seems:uhoh: to be OK.

soldsep
09-12-2005, 04:38 AM
i also have this problem, except it randomly happens and only at speeds above 65

nick mann
09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Is it speed related? Or Engine speed related? Do you feel it throught the steering wheel? When braking or accelerating? What happens if you travel faster?

mr bishi
09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
could be a drive shaft out of balance

sytema
10-11-2005, 12:44 AM
normally if you align you car and tires and the car keeps shaking then you should check your front shocks. bad shocks make de car shake pass 65 mph or so

Jadavisit
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Not to burst bubbles but I have had this problem a few times... Your Manufacurer set your car to a speed max of 65. So in other words the engine is blocked by some sort of "Clip" and when the engine hits 65 it pushes against this "Clip" and the engine can no longer go faster.

I even had someone release this restriction on a friends new truck because he drove through West Virginia everyday for work and it was driving him crazy at 65 is would shack rapidly and the speed limit in WV. is 70mph.

I would have this speed restrictions checked by your machanic or local Mitsubishi dealer, just make sure you have a good reason why you need the restriction lifted or modified.

the_nosferatu
10-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Well being that we dont know if it is from the engine or the speed just an easy answer could possibly be that you have bent wheels. I have worked in the tire industry for quite awhile and we always get people coming in complaining of this. You notice it at high speed more than slow speeds and it is quite easy to bend the wheel. Little things like hitting pothols can do it.

Luv thy Galant
10-21-2005, 09:17 AM
If yours is an automatic transmission, then its most probably the torque converter. Galants have had that problem since ages.

FoyleR
01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
dryflyfishn,

Did you get a resolve on this issue? Mine is doing the same thing and I was curious to see what your problem turned out to be.

Mine does fine on acceleration up until about 55 then shakes badly through about 70 where the shake is not quite as pronounced. You can actually see the front end shaking back and forth. It only does it during acceleration. If you let off the gas it rolls smooth. I just had an alignment and balance done and had them check for bent wheels and that all checked out.

Looks to me like either struts or torque converter by the answers posted so far. Any other ideas?

zuddy
03-04-2006, 05:25 PM
test

zuddy
03-04-2006, 06:06 PM
New to the forum and an upstate newyork fly fisher to boot. I have a 96 galant that is doing the same, violent shaking between 45-55. She took it to a mechanic that changed the drivers side, longer axle. That would have been my first thought too. Because this is like a wheel out of balance on steroids. If the axle is not free floating it will transmit its runout (not running or turning perfectly “round”) to the transmission. Which is similair to an out of balance tire. The longer axle has more leverage which would account for this much shaking. I get the car still shaking. The radiator and firewall engine mounts are wasted. Probably from driving the car like this for a while. Change all four, $50.00 a piece from dealer. The dealer stocks the mounts and sells a lot of them. Am I on to something here? No, still shaking. Drivers side outer tie rod end has a good (bad) amount of play in it. Don’t see how it could be related but its bad, so change it. Still shaking. Go back to square one. Remove passenger side shorter axle. By the way both axles look and feel fine (one should, its new). Take the boot off the trans side of the axle to actually LOOK and SEE if it is bad (its easy). Very little grease in it. There are three rollers attached to the axle that ride in channels that are in the part that goes in the trans. This is where the axle floats as the distance from the wheel to the trans changes a little as you drive over bumps and turns. One of the rollers is so dry that it has made divets or wear spots on both sides of its channel. Ssoooo When you give it gas the engine torque holds the roller in the worn spot , no float. Run out transfers to trans. and the rubber mounts just bounce all over the place.
Oh. She took this to one mechanic that said it might be the axle and $$$$$. Takes it to the second mechanic with the diagnoses of the first. He says the axle looks fine but changes it anyway for less $$$. ??Still shaking.

Bronxbombr
03-12-2006, 09:57 AM
axles, tire balance, and wheel alignments are what is needed here. have no idea of a clip or any sort that kick in at 65. You sure this is correct

zuddy
03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
yes as I wrote this is the nearly the same as wheel out of balance however much worse, the engine shakes like a jack hammer and killed two of the engine mounts (she drove it like that for 4 months). The problem was in the axle at the end that goes into the trans. There was no grease in it and so it was not floating as it should. You would have to take the boot off an axle to see the design to see what I mean by the roller wearing a divot in its channel.

Bronxbombr
03-18-2006, 02:19 AM
I use to work for a rebuilder, I know what an axle looks like and know what you are talking about. Just change the axle and all the mounts at the same time to be sure. Although afterwards i'd also suggest checking your front end.

FoyleR
03-24-2006, 11:32 AM
My fix was a new right axle. All better now.

Add your comment to this topic!