Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p0446 code, evap line blocked?

chcknugget
08-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Hello all,
Got a new code yesterday. I searched old posts. Anyone correct this?

rksnc
08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Evap solenoid vent is not working, blocked, hose bent or something.

unionhill
08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I had this code on my 2001. Replaced the EVAP vent solenoid (actually a friend's shop did it) and that solved the problem. It wasn't very easy to get to, it is in front of the gas tank, between the rear axle and the gas tank.

Let us know if it works!
-Andy

BlazerLT
08-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Guys it is not a valve, it is the EVAP canister that has a blocked vent.

You are mistaking it I think with the purge solenoid which is something different.

With this code, you need to replace your EVAP canister and NOT overfill your tank.

Fill it till it clicks off and then top up to the nearest dollar.

unionhill
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not 100% sure about which part was replaced, but I know the EVAP canister didn't get replaced. My understanding is that my EVAP system looks like figure 2 here:

http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt108.pdf

I thought they replaced the evap vent solenoid, which I believe is at the other end of the big tube that connects to the canister. It was definitely a P0446 code.

-Andy

chcknugget
08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I just took the gas cap off and let it vent while I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes. While I did this, I crawled under the rear and it sounded like there were chipmunks in my gas tank... Very Strange. I could hear the gas swooshing around, but it also sounded like there was something in there. I pounded on the tank a few times with my fist and it stopped.

Anyways, the code is cleared for now. The evap canister is where the gas tank vents out? I don't overfill, and the tank has been near a quarter tank full on week old gas when the light went on. I'm sure the light will come on again soon.

BlazerLT
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Your vent in your tank could be stuck.

See if the clearing things straightened it up.

97BlazerDude
08-24-2005, 07:52 PM
It is quite possible that you do have chipmunks in your gas tank.

JC327
08-24-2005, 08:50 PM

Yeah. I found two hyenas and a grass snake in mine just yesterday.

BlazerLT
08-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Please dont' post if you are not going to help.

Add your comment to this topic!