Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Honda RA 272 upgrade sets?

mickbench
08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know how I would fit the Honda F-1RA 272 engine trumpets, I guess you just push them onto the part? I'm about to order the detail set, and saw these as well.. If they are easy enough to fit, will get them as well.

Link -

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/shop/result.asp?pg=&schRef=ACU2053&schCarType=_Ext&schYear=&schDriver=&schSponsor=&schEvent=&schScale=All&schManufact=All&schKit=All&sav=All&#res

If i've got to start cutting parts around to make them fit, then I'll just forget these, and go with the detail set instead.

Many thanks.

willimo
08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
If you notice the part which they would attach to, you'll see two things:

1. Tamiya has molded the trumepts on, so for the Accustation bits to fit and the right dimension, you'd have to trim them off.

2. The Tamiya representation of the trumpet is merely a cylinder, and is about as convincing as passing a dog off as a cat.

Here's my suggestion (and what I will do when I build my RA272): Use the molded trumpet hole as a guide to drill a hole through the part the same diameter as the tab at the bottom of the Accustation trumpet. Carefully remove the Tamiya molded trumpets with a knife, file, whatever. Glue the Accustation trumpets into the hole you already drilled. Not a hard thing to do at all, and the results would be stellar - properly shaped, shiny metal parts instead of funky shaped, dully painted lumps.

mickbench
08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
If you notice the part which they would attach to, you'll see two things:

1. Tamiya has molded the trumepts on, so for the Accustation bits to fit and the right dimension, you'd have to trim them off.

2. The Tamiya representation of the trumpet is merely a cylinder, and is about as convincing as passing a dog off as a cat.

Here's my suggestion (and what I will do when I build my RA272): Use the molded trumpet hole as a guide to drill a hole through the part the same diameter as the tab at the bottom of the Accustation trumpet. Carefully remove the Tamiya molded trumpets with a knife, file, whatever. Glue the Accustation trumpets into the hole you already drilled. Not a hard thing to do at all, and the results would be stellar - properly shaped, shiny metal parts instead of funky shaped, dully painted lumps.

Ah right, so drill the hole first using the Tamiya cylinder as a guide, leaving 12 holes in the part right? Then carefully cut the cylinder off leaving just the 12 holes. Using the hole, glue the new metal turned parts on - job done? Not done this before, what is the best tool to drill the holes with? I small model drill or something? I don't have one so will have to buy one.

Many thanks

willimo
08-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Yes. In english (I don't know where you're from?) you'll need a "pin vise" to go with the drill bit. Perhaps wait for the trumpets to arrive so you can take the package (Don't take just one trumpet! You'll lose it!) to your hobby shop and select a single bit that is the correct diameter (or close enough) as a package of bits can get expensive. Or, you could just get a package of bits. I assure you that once you have a pin vise and some bits, you'll wonder how you got by without them!

mickbench
08-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Cool.. I'm from the UK, so local hobby shop where I am means "Internet".. :lol2:

I'll get a pin vise, but wait until the trumpets arrive, then buy a few bits that look about the right size, and give it a go..!! This can't be that hard... Now, just watch me mess this up.. :p

freakmech
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I believe if you go to hobbysearch (1999.co.jp i think) you can look at the instruction sheet. if not for this kit there are instructions for similar kits. but more or less its what Will said. really easy, and if you dont have a pin vice, well you should get one, there good for all kinds of things. also a bit of a tip, use a chisel tip exacto (razor blade) to shave of the molded trumpets after drilling. easier then sanding, filing etc....

mickbench
08-23-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm looking for a pin vise now, but I want one where you push it down and it then turns for you, as I don't fancy the palm wear..!! I've been searching you see, and it looks like there are a few types.. The ones with the screw top look OK. Look real easy to use..

Hiroboy looks to have a good one.. No idea where he got it from. I already have the kit, it's on my workbench ready to be started, so I can actaully see the molded trumpets already.. I agree that they are a bit simple looking.. I'm gonna get the upgrade.. What's the worst that can happen.. I screw up, and I have to get a spare from Tamiya..!! :grinno:

I'll keep searching UK websites until I find a good place to buy a pin vise and some drill bits.. Unlsess somone can recommend a good place..!! wink wink..!!

klutz_100
08-24-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm looking for a pin vise now, but I want one where you push it down and it then turns for you, as I don't fancy the palm wear..!! I've been searching you see, and it looks like there are a few types.. The ones with the screw top look OK. Look real easy to use..

Hiroboy looks to have a good one.. No idea where he got it from. I already have the kit, it's on my workbench ready to be started, so I can actaully see the molded trumpets already.. I agree that they are a bit simple looking.. I'm gonna get the upgrade.. What's the worst that can happen.. I screw up, and I have to get a spare from Tamiya..!! :grinno:

I'll keep searching UK websites until I find a good place to buy a pin vise and some drill bits.. Unlsess somone can recommend a good place..!! wink wink..!!

Michael,

They have pin vices at that online shop you showed me the other day.

Get a set of (about) 10 microdrills - Blackspur(?) set or similar - on ebay for about 7GBP.

Get the archimedes drill sure, but ALSO get a regular, non-self turning one! It's easy to F**k up with the archimedes drill and drilling through styrene is like pushing a knife through soft butter - so no "palm wear" to talk of :) and much better control with the "old fashioned" type

my 2cents and HTH, IMHO, FWIW,

mickbench
08-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Michael,

They have pin vices at that online shop you showed me the other day.

Get a set of (about) 10 microdrills - Blackspur(?) set or similar - on ebay for about 7GBP.

Get the archimedes drill sure, but ALSO get a regular, non-self turning one! It's easy to F**k up with the archimedes drill and drilling through styrene is like pushing a knife through soft butter - so no "palm wear" to talk of :) and much better control with the "old fashioned" type

my 2cents and HTH, IMHO, FWIW,

I am about to order a pin vise from www.modelsforsale.co.uk, but they are only .0 -1.0mm ??

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_25999987&products_id=43366

Is that right, as the drill set box to go with it is 6 - 1.6..?? Won't fit will they -

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_25999987&products_id=43612

Or am I just being a total fool... :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!