Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Buick starter enable relay

73superduty
08-23-2005, 02:31 PM
As the title lists. Where is the starter enable relay located?
Car was running and just shut off. Won't restart. I think we've tracked it to this relay. Now we just can't find it. Anyone have a schematic or know where I should look?
Thanks for your time.
Chris

volkerc
08-23-2005, 04:46 PM
sorry, to busy looking at your pic....
lol

imidazol97
08-23-2005, 08:07 PM
As the title lists. Where is the starter enable relay located?
Car was running and just shut off. Won't restart. I think we've tracked it to this relay. Now we just can't find it. Anyone have a schematic or know where I should look?
Thanks for your time.
Chris

If you motor just shut off, that's what you need to be troubleshooting. The starter relay only affects the starter motor turning. Does the starter motor turn? Do you have a security light on indicating the key is not being read (92 does have the PassKey system I believe with the resistor chip?)?

The starter enable relay is high up in the dash above the fuse panel. I requires complete disassembly of the dash to get to according to the 93 service manual. You don't want to go there if you don't have to.

If the car was running the starter enable relay has nothing to do with the operation.

HotZ28
08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I will only tell you if you send me a full size of that pic. :licka:

What you need to do is check for power at the S terminal of the starter, purple wire, with a test light. If it lights, everything is fine and the starter is bad.

If not, then you need to work back, checking for power with the key in the START position at the Neutral Safety Switch and Starter enable relay.

The starter enable relay is is connected by a yellow wire coming from the ignition switch to the relay and from the relay to the netural start switch. Coming out of the netural start switch, it will be purple to the starter S terminal. Usually the enable relay is located under the right side dash, next to and above the BCM.

:cheers:

HotZ28
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
With all that said, now you need give us some more information. When you said "Car was running and just shut off Won't restart", do you mean that the starter will not turn, or does the starter turn but no start? When you turn the key on does the security light go off? Right now all we can do is guess at what your problem may be.
I have seen only one start enable relay bad in the last 20 years!! :eek7:

imidazol97
08-23-2005, 08:37 PM
With all that said, now you need give us some more information. When you said "Car was running and just shut off Won't restart", do you mean that the starter will not turn, or does the starter turn but no start? When you turn the key on does the security light go off? Right now all we can do is guess at what your problem may be.
I have seen only one start enable relay bad in the last 20 years!! :eek7:

Is the 92 the same as the 93 LeSabre?

If so, the box that reads the chip in the key is at the right side of the passenger dash, up high as shown in the manual.

The enable relay is tripped on when the key resistor reads okay ont he first box and is up above the steering column. They show taking the whole dash front off and the top of the dash where you remove the screws that are under the speaker grills. They show the enable relay above the fuse panel or above the steering column on the driver's side. It looks buried for theft deterence I assume.

73superduty
08-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Sorry to leave you guys out of the loop.
After tearing the dash completely apart it was a broken wire in the column. Apparently when the previous owner put the new radio in they yanked the unit a bit hard to get a hold of the wires. Only thing I can tell. It starts and runs now!!
Thanks for the help.
Girl in photo, yeah, I'll keep that to myself.....
Chris

Add your comment to this topic!