Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TransAm over z28?

TruBaller46
08-23-2005, 01:38 AM
Hey what's up guys.

I am looking to buy a car, and I have researched both, a 99' Trans AM, and a 00' z28.

As far as I could see performance wise on both cars was pretty much the same. Just that the TA for a better gas mileage (which I need most). And the z28's 0-60 times and such were just by a tiny bit better than the TA's, considering that both the cars are v8's and both have 305hp.

Right now I am leaning towards the TA because I just love how the car looks, it just looks 100x better than the z28, IMO (Not saying that the z28 looks bad). And the slight advantage in MPG that the TA has on the z28 is the second thing that is pulling me towards it. Im not sure what both cars average MPG is. But thats highway and city put together, and I am not going to be doing alot of highway driving for now so the average doesnt really matter at the moment.

So I just wanted to get peoples opinions on what would be a better buy, I mean, I might be missing some information on performance from both the cars, and that could change my mind.

Thanks in advance, now post. :D

TruBaller46
08-23-2005, 02:12 AM
One more thing.

There are two more cars I was considering. And that's the 97' e36 m3, and the 02' subaru impreza wrx.

I couldn't decide between the two because the m3 is a (like most of you say) "killer with class", and it is a German, unlike the wrx which is a Jap. The m3's performance is better than wrx's pretty much anyway you look at it, and I like both cars but the m3 is from 97' and the wrx is from 02' so that's the only reason its hard for me to choose.

So could you please tell me what could go wrong with a 97' m3 (I dont think there is alot considering its a German car) if anything. And if it would be better to go with the m3 over a 02' wrx, while both cars cost about the same.

Thanks once again.

CassiesMan
08-23-2005, 03:31 AM
"killer with class",

You stole that from me you SOB...lol.

Well, the first question you need to ask is modibility an issue. Becuase modifying a German car (ANY German Car) is infinitely more expensive than an Japanese or Domestic. For example, a 3in downpipe for an Audi A4 (not even the B5 S4) costs about 800 bucks. A three inch dp for an RX-7 costs about 250. I would take the Bimmer or the WRX over the Z28/TA, but thats just me.

Robs71Nova
08-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Is the T/A a WS6? Generally, for whatever reason and even though they are basically the same car, the Trans Am's tend to be a litle bit faster than their Camaro counterparts.

As far as getting a Scoobie or M3, neither are really my kind of cars so I really don't have an opinion on them.

Rob

drftk1d
08-23-2005, 09:17 AM
if MPG is even a thought in your mind, get the WRX, otherwise i'd get a WS6, they are mad sexy (heavy though).

BullDog71ss
08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Comparing the gas mileage of those two GM's is kinda pointless dude, they will both net you about 15-18 in town depending on how you drive. You won't be able to tell the difference between 1mpg so don't bother using that as a bases to pick either or. Just go with the one you like more. I however, would go with the Camaro out of the two V8's.

But honestly, out of all your choices, I'd get the m3. Mind you, this comes from a big muscle car guy. My buddy has an 1998 E36 M3 and it is definetly "killer with class."

-Josh-
08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I would rather work on the German car than that boxer egine in the WRX...

But i would choose the WS6 T/A... White with black rims...6 speed...sts remote turbo... *drools**falls off seat*

TruBaller46
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all of you guys input on this. I really appriciate it.

And if I was going to get the e36 m3, should I be worried about having something break down on me shortly? If yes can you tell me what kind of problems would occur and the aprox. price range to fix them.

Thanks.

TruBaller46
08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
You stole that from me you SOB...lol.

Lol... My bad Cassie, I just had to do it... Because we all know it's true. :D

TheStang00
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
if it were me and choosing between a camaro and a ws6, id go with a ws6. i like the way they look a lot more and you dont see as many of them.

Mr. Luos
08-23-2005, 11:54 AM
I doubt this is a WS.6.

I have NO idea were the MPG difference is here. They should be about the same. The 6-speed will get better mileage than the auto though.

Oh, and if you are looking for overall power, the LS1 car is the way to go.

noevosplease
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Yeah..the only way there would be a MPG difference is if you were comparing an auto to a manual.

Add your comment to this topic!