IS 300 Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

Shortblock
08-22-2005, 11:03 PM
My '01 IS300 has over 70,000 miles on it. Serpentine belt was getting noisy, starting to show the "checking" on the grooved side, so I decided to put on a new one. When I took the belt off, I noticed the tensioner pulley was a bit wobbly, so I wanted to change it.

If you run into this problem, contact me. Deal is, the dealer will only sell you the complete tensioner assembly for about $180.00. If you have the dealer do the work, you won't get out of the shop for under $300.00.

I fixed mine, and if you're at all mechanically inclined and have a decent set of hand tools, you can fix yours for under $50.00 or pay somebody using my method to fix it for about $100.00.

Clue: The pulley bearing can be pressed out and a new one pressed in, and the bearing is all that is really worn out. Shop for a double-shielded bearing; easily acquired at any of several on-line firms. A little lock-tite on the bolt that holds the pulley onto the tensioner arm, and you're down the road.

I live in San Diego area and can assist folks who live around here.

Brian R.
08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the hint.

Quazzie
03-20-2007, 11:49 AM
"the dealer will only sell you the complete tensioner assembly for about $180.00. If you have the dealer do the work, you won't get out of the shop for under $300.00."
"pay somebody using my method to fix it for about $100.00"

Surely the peace of mind of knowing that the work on your car was carried out by a professionaly trained lexus mechanic is worth a mere $20.. ($100 for labour plus $180 for the tensioner)

"Clue: The pulley bearing can be pressed out and a new one pressed in, and the bearing is all that is really worn out. Shop for a double-shielded bearing; easily acquired at any of several on-line firms. A little lock-tite on the bolt that holds the pulley onto the tensioner arm, and you're down the road."

When it comes to the belts on a car is it really a good idea to be advising home made remedies.. ask yourself how much a new block costs if the engine seizes..

Add your comment to this topic!