Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cant figure it out

bwebster84
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
i got a 96 s10 4wd and lately its just been dying on me i replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap/rotor, and battery. it seemed like it was working fine until it started again it seems like it is just turning off whenever im driving and its just getting worse im not sure if its the ignition switch this time or if its my alarm being jacked up thats causing this. what happens when i turn the key on the gauges come on occasionally allowing it to start but the majority of the time they just dont come on. but would it still be the ignition switch even tho when the gauges dont come on it will still spin but wont crank? kinda hit a wall is there any way to test the switch?

thanks
Brandon

OverBoardProject
08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
That would be my guess. Replace the ignition switch and your probably fine

Ericaustin
08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
I have a 91 chevy s-10 2.8L V6 with the model 220 TBI. So I can see if the injectors are spraying. Well I just had the same problem I was crusin at about 80 when BAM. engine cuts out. The when I try to start it it will crank and not start. Injectors won't spray unless I let the truck sit for a while. Well I check the filters on the injectors their fine. Next rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator and its not the problem. Then I dig up my haynes book and it says "To test the fuel pump relay, start the engine and let it idle at normal temp, then disconnect the fuel pump relay. If engine stops, the oil pressure switch is faulty." page 4-38 section 17 Now I heard through a friend that this switch is next to the distributor. So I think HEAT is a factor for the fault. Does any one know about the oil pressure switch?

fatdaddy62
09-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Eric I had this exact problem with 2wd 4.3L 1991 and I replaced many parts including the fuel filter, Pump, and tested coild take it out for the run and make sure you have fire when it breaksdown. If you do then I would suggest the Throttle Position Sensor and IAC. These two replaced at one time fixed my problem which was to drive out and after operating temp it just shuts down and spins. Let it cool off and it runs perfect.
Good luck,

Add your comment to this topic!