Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is ((!)) showing on my dashboard?!

Guru_37
08-22-2005, 06:20 PM
:sly:I am a little worried because when my 97 Avalon XLS starts up nowadays there is this sign that comes up on the dashboard and it's red - looks like this: ((!)). :smile:I find that the car is running well as usual, and when I accelerate the sign disappears and when I ease off the gas or not pressing it, it comes back on. This only occurs for the first 20mins of driving and then never appears.

:sunglasseAny Ideas, or experiences wud be greatly appreciated.

Joe W
08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
I dont have my owners manual with me, but I am almost positive it is the brake fluid level. If it is, dont just add fluid. Check your brakes. As the brake lining wears, it displaces the fluid.

toyomechanic421
08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
no, its the tire pressure warning light. look at the driver door hinge and see what the pressure should be for your size tires and set the pressure. I cant remember where the tire light set button is off hand for your car but it should be either where the lowest part of your steering column cover is or to the left of your steering wheel on the dash. it will say the (!) and will have set written with it. press this with the ignition on and hold till the (!) flashes three times then goes out. hold untill it goes out after the third or it will come back. hope this helps, and hope u dont find a nail in your tire lol.

csaxon
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
GURU_37 Joe W is correct.

((!)) is the type B brake system warning light. It's the international symbol for the brake system.

The type A system has the word BRAKE for those who can read English.
It comes on for a few seconds when the ignition key is turned on or when the emergency (parking) brake is engaged. It also comes on when the brake fluid is low. It may go on and off if you make turns or brake harshly when the fluid level is low and sloshing about.

Another example is the ABS. Type A warning light says ABS. The type B system is ((ABS))

toyomechanic421
There are no tire pressure warning lights on any 1997 Toyota Avalons or similar models worldwide.

Add your comment to this topic!