Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 P.A. Stalls after Warm-up

Paul T
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I have been battling this problem for two weeks now and have received some very good advice from all of you in previous "help" threads.

My PA starts when cold and when it warms it stalls or cannot restart. The OBD codes suggested an air intake temp sensor but when I checked it out the sensor operated as desighned.

Today I checked ignition spark and all was well from all three coils until the engine heated up. I turned the motor off, tried to re-start and there was no spark from ANY of the three coil secondaries.

Before I drop a $170 on a ignition module, does anyone feel I am on the right track with this as a fix (ignition module)? Just tired of throwing parts at it and would like a second opinion.

Thanks, Paul.

-Josh-
08-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I have been battling this problem for two weeks now and have received some very good advice from all of you in previous "help" threads.

My PA starts when cold and when it warms it stalls or cannot restart. The OBD codes suggested an air intake temp sensor but when I checked it out the sensor operated as desighned.

Today I checked ignition spark and all was well from all three coils until the engine heated up. I turned the motor off, tried to re-start and there was no spark from ANY of the three coil secondaries.

Before I drop a $170 on a ignition module, does anyone feel I am on the right track with this as a fix (ignition module)? Just tired of throwing parts at it and would like a second opinion.

Thanks, Paul.

hmmmm... Before i read your last paragraph i was going to suggest looking for corrosion on the wires leading to the module, tracing them back if you will. But honestly your best bet would be to replace the module since it's an intermittent problem if there was corrosion it wouldn't work at all. Also the MAP sensors on those 3800's like to take shit soon after the 60K mile mark, if you give me whatever codes you got from it i'll take a look on SI tomorrow at work, i'll also check on any bulletins out for your car.

JJ

Paul T
08-21-2005, 10:19 PM
JOSH...Thanks for your reply and your offer to check out some codes for me. These are from the OBD.....

17, 13, 23, 62

Thanks again

Paul

-Josh-
08-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Closest bulletin i could find...

MODELS AFFECTED: 1992-93 PARK AVENUE ULTRA

Some 1992 and 1993 Park Avenue Ultra models equipped with 3800 S/C (Code 1, RPO L67) engines may experience a condition described as engine does not stay running on initial cold start.

If this condition is experienced and cannot be repaired by using currently published service diagnostic procedures, it may be necessary to install a new service PROM after basic engine controls and systems performance have been verified.

PARTS STATEMENT:

Parts are expected to be available on December 21, 1992. In case of limited inventory, parts will be placed on 400 control to waive VIP surcharges. Only verifiable emergency VIP orders will be accepted. SPO will make every effort to obtain parts. However, the part will be shipped premium transportation at dealer's expense and all other order types will be placed on backorder until the 400 control is removed.

PROM PROM PROM SERVICE SCANNER BROADCAST YEAR SERIES AXLE PART NUMBER I.D. NO. CODE ---- ------ ---- ------------ -------- --------- 1992 Park Ave Ultra 2.97 16190044 9534 BDZB FED

1992 Park Ave Ultra 2.97 16190047 9544 BDZC CAL

1993 Park Ave Ultra 2.97 16187418 7374 BDND FED

1993 Park Ave Ultra 2.97 16187421 7384 BDNF CAL

HotZ28
08-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 1992
Buick
13 Open Oxygen Sensor Circuit
14 Coolant Temperature Sensor (High Temp Indicated)
15 Coolant Temperature Sensor (Low Temp Indicated)
16 System Voltage High
17 Spark Reference Circuit (Type I Ignition)
17 Spark Reference Circuit (Type II Ignition)
21 Throttle Position Sensor (Signal Voltage High)
22 Throttle Position Sensor (Signal Voltage Low)
23 Intake Air Temp (IAT) Sensor (Low Temp Indicated)
24 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit
25 Intake Air Temp (IAT) Sensor (High Temp Indicated)
26 Quad-Driver (QDM) Circuit
31 Park/Neutral Switch Circuit
34 Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) (GM/SEC Low)
36 Transaxle Shift Control Problem
38 Brake Input Circuit
39 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Circuit
41 Cam Sensor Circuit (Type I Ignition)
41 Cam Sensor Circuit (Type II Ignition)
42 Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Circuit
43 Electronic Spark Control (ESC) Circuit
44 Oxygen Sensor Circuit (Lean Exhaust Indicated)
45 Oxygen Sensor Circuit (Rich Exhaust Indicated)
51 Mem-Cal Error
58 Security System (Fuel Enable Circuit)
61 Cruise - Vent Solenoid Circuit.
62 Cruise - Vacuum Solenoid Circuit.
65 Cruise - Servo Position Circuit.
66 Low A/C Refrigerant Charge.
67 Cruise Switches Circuit.
68 Cruise System Problem.
69 A/C Head Pressure Switch Circuit.

Add your comment to this topic!