Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timeslips from lastnight....any advice appreciated

90redgt
08-21-2005, 02:03 PM
1st run:

reaction- .114 (.000=perfect light)

-2.0 60 ft.
-8.6 1/8 mile
-86mph

ET: 13.1
mph: 109

The track was unprepped, i was on Drag radials but they're kinda small. 225-50-15

2nd run:

reaction- .219

-2.0 60ft.
-8.5 1/8 mile
-86mph

ET: 13.0
Mph: 110mph

On both runs the 1-2 and 2-3 powershifts the tires continue to break loose. The car also fishtails slightly goin' into second. And going into third i can hear the rear tires still screamin' for traction "chirrrrrrrp". So i know i need some better gripping tires but other than that any advice based on these stats here to get my times down any more? What about just speed shifting instead of tryin' to powershift? Also i launch between 2k and 2500rpm. Any more and the tires spin all through the first '60 ft.

chevytrucks92
08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Well, that little chirp actually ain't a bad thing. You actually want a little wheel spin so you don't bog the motor down.

And to be honest, I say you're doing fine becuase you ran really consistant, especially for a street car, lol.

But, you could always adjust your air pressure. You need to run as little as possible without causing your car to "wonder" on top end.

Slowprocess
08-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I would try to invest in a set of Mickey T ET streets. They are dot and a world over my old drag radials. Only thing I will say about them is you have to run alittle more air pressure than what you can get away with on the drag radials. I ran mine as low as 13 trying to get it to hook on a terrible ass track, and it swayed from one line to the next. Trap speed on that run was 114mph, which is too damn fast for me to be swaying side to side!!!! :eek7:

What kind of mods do you have currently? (engine,suspension,drivetrain). I assume you're running the car in your log in name, right? That's a huge step above stock, so I'm assuming you've got some mods there. The car is putting down consistent numbers, so you can get consistently better times, but I would like to know more about your setup.

JekylandHyde
08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
225s aren't to small for your power level.
What kind of tire pressure were you running in them?

I am guessing over 25 psi.
You could have dropped down to 14-16psi.

FikseGTS
08-25-2005, 08:42 PM
sounds like the track was your issue.... you've got the power and tires to pull a 1.8x 60' and drop your ET down in the high 12's.....

90redgt
11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
alright, this is a really late reply heheh.....but the issue still remains. so here's what's goin' on.

Slow process my engine combo put down 352rwhp. for suspension i have Ford heavy duty upper control arms, and steeda lower control arms. No rear sway bar. No front sway bar. 90/10 struts, 50/50 shocks, and stock springs at all four corners.
I have been considering ET streets or Hoosier drags. Jekyl, i use no more than 15psi in the tires when i run. My best MPH to date is 112mph and best et 12.77 with a 1.95 60ft.

camaroincal
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Well must have been just shitty track prep then.

MrPbody
11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Your MPH shows potential for the 12.0 range. I would suggest you "slip" the clutch in 1st, rather than "dump" it. It's a lot like driving on the street with street tires. We managed to get the 60' under 1.9 with true street tires (not D.O.T. "slicks") with moire power than you have (400 Pontiac, mildly built, 410 RWHP, 480 lb. ft.). The Muncie has good gearing, too, but with the 5-speed, you should have a slight edge there (gearing, I mean).

I would hold the revs right at 3,000, and let the clutch out SLOWLY. As the tires started to bite, I would let it all the way out and hammer the throttle AFTER the car was well underway. Sometimes, the tires would break, but usually, it would hook and go.
Drag racing with street tires can always be an adventure. Be sure you understand the difference between "street tires" and "street legal tires".

In any case, you've done just fine. Your car has more in it, and you'll find it with some experience. That little Ford is a very good place to start. Once you've mastered driving the manual in drag racing, you can move "up" to a faster car with confidence. You can even save some money and make the little Ford MUCH faster.

Don't be led astray by those that will tell you you CAN'T win bracket races with a manual. You most certainly can. It DOES take practice and skill. I have one customer with a '65 GTO convertible that goes 12.0/11.90s (depending on the "air"). It has TriPower and a 4-speed, and he's won three bracket meets in the last two years and been to the final round on several more occasions.

Jim

90redgt
11-10-2005, 06:17 AM
thanks for the reply mrpbody...

i'll try what you said and see how it goes...however next time i go to the track it'll be on slicks..

Add your comment to this topic!