Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas smell

Harryn
08-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a 97 Chevy Blazer 4 dr with a 4.3 Vortec. 145000 KM (80000 miles)
I now smell gas ???

Just for a bit of history.

The fuel gage had not worked properly for about 2 years. That finally got to me so I decided to fix this. Dropped the tank and replaced the fuel sending/pump unit ($400.00). When doing this I did not know that there was a vent valve on top at the other end of the tank. I just thought that it was stubborn so a yank broke this and I had to replace this as well. All went in okay and all was fine for about 2 tank fulls. Now I smell gas after a few minutes of driving. You do not notice it unless you are driving slowly or at a stop with the engine hot.

There are no fuel leaks!! There are no cracks in any hoses that I can see

drdd
08-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Do you overfill or top-off at the pump?

I have a 97 Chevy Blazer 4 dr with a 4.3 Vortec. 145000 KM (80000 miles)
I now smell gas ???

Just for a bit of history.

The fuel gage had not worked properly for about 2 years. That finally got to me so I decided to fix this. Dropped the tank and replaced the fuel sending/pump unit ($400.00). When doing this I did not know that there was a vent valve on top at the other end of the tank. I just thought that it was stubborn so a yank broke this and I had to replace this as well. All went in okay and all was fine for about 2 tank fulls. Now I smell gas after a few minutes of driving. You do not notice it unless you are driving slowly or at a stop with the engine hot.

There are no fuel leaks!! There are no cracks in any hoses that I can see

BlazerLT
08-21-2005, 03:19 PM
vent is stuck or you are overfilling your tank which causes raw fuel to get into the evap canister.

Harryn
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
At the pump I just go to the next dollar.
If there is raw gas in the evap cannister how do I deal with that? New vent valve should not be stuck!!

BlazerLT
08-21-2005, 03:41 PM
If there is raw gas in the evap cannister how do I deal with that? New vent valve should not be stuck!!

Check your vent and take a whiff near your gas cap and check for gas vapours.

drdd
08-21-2005, 04:37 PM
stop topping off. the automatic cutoff is there for a reason.

Harryn
08-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I have taken the cannister out and there is a bit of gas in there. The line that is marked tank had about two tablespoons worth of gas. Can I dump it and blow it out and reinstall??? or do I need a new one.

BlazerLT
08-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I have taken the cannister out and there is a bit of gas in there. The line that is marked tank had about two tablespoons worth of gas. Can I dump it and blow it out and reinstall??? or do I need a new one.

You should be able too reinstall it.

If there was fluid in the canister, you filled it up more than topping it off to the nearest dollar.

The vent for the EVAP is only 1-2 inches down the neck.

Harryn
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey Thanks a bunch for the info.
Most times I go to a self serve station and just round off to the nearest dollar. The last fill I went to a full serve, not only that the attendant dropped the cap.

Drained/dried the Canister, I replaced the gas cap as well and now all is good!
Thanks

BlazerLT
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Thanks a bunch for the info.
Most times I go to a self serve station and just round off to the nearest dollar. The last fill I went to a full serve, not only that the attendant dropped the cap.

Drained/dried the Canister, I replaced the gas cap as well and now all is good!
Thanks

SahWEET!

Add your comment to this topic!