Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does your Family support your drawing habit?

BJ3113
08-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I love to draw and sketch anything from Cars to Houses. My primary focus is on Cars, Trucks and Bikes. I have been doing this for around 10 yrs. I am no expert or professional by any means. I just enjoy it as a stress reliever as I build models as well. My question is- Does your family support your drawing habit or do they say "why dont you put that talent into something else you can make money with" I get this all the time from my family and frankly I have been scared to pick up a pencil for the past year or so. I consider you all like a family and would really like your input on this.

Thanks Very Much

Ben

MBTN
08-21-2005, 01:05 PM
They did back in the day when I used to draw all the time. Every gift i'd ever get was pencils and paper. But eventually I got sick of all of it and stopped drawing for about 8 years. Within the past year I've been drawing again. I hear the same story from relatives and family "why don't you go into a design school? blah blah". It's just a hobby and I'd like to keep it that way.

smilly_butcher
08-21-2005, 01:11 PM
i've gave up. so i start learning architectury from september 1

KustmAce
08-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I love to draw and sketch anything from Cars to Houses. My primary focus is on Cars, Trucks and Bikes. I have been doing this for around 10 yrs. I am no expert or professional by any means. I just enjoy it as a stress reliever as I build models as well. My question is- Does your family support your drawing habit or do they say "why dont you put that talent into something else you can make money with" I get this all the time from my family and frankly I have been scared to pick up a pencil for the past year or so. I consider you all like a family and would really like your input on this.

Thanks Very Much

Ben

I say next time someone tells you that punch them in the face. Then spike their breakfast with some weed. Then call their work and say you saw them toking on their break. Then when they get fired, tell them to get off their lazy ass and get a job. Then draw a picture of you flipping the bird and give it to them.

And yes, my folks support my habit.

knightvision
08-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I get feedback from my grandparents a bit. that's all.
My parents don't care or say "care about school" My brother likes a few, I think, but if it's not a tipp topp all-new-superstylish-and-detailed drawing he's rather bored. If I had painted Mona Lisa my father would say "she looks strange" and my mom would say "Nice, but...(and then tons of things I should do like cleaning my room, preparing for class tests...)".

Nevermind. Only one way to encourage me to work harder and harder. Otherwise I draw for myself, it's a pleasure and like you said a stress reliever. And I still believe that I can do make money with it.

I get positive feedback frm my art teacher. Although I don't always know whether I can take it serious. He's a nice guy. Too nice sometimes, maybe.

If you'd ask me, don't care about them. Everything forbidden is much more attractive. Can't wait to see some of your work.

stuffbyalex
08-21-2005, 02:13 PM
My parents support my drawings and give me a bit of feedback when something looks wrong. Usually it's pretty helpful.

Alex

nicecar
08-21-2005, 03:03 PM
my dad usually points out errors for me, so i correct it.

my mum looks at it for a second and mumbles, "thats nice" lol

not really very supportive but my mum would do anything if there was something wrong at school.

venom_design
08-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I think those people are jalous!!! you have to use your free time like you want it urself!!! they have to watch their own work!!! I totally agree with the thing kustmace said!!!

My parents and family DO support me very good!!! My mom and her sisters are all artists (or have been;-)) and the brother of my dad designs luxuary yaughts...So I have both sides of the family that's used to be busy with the stuff... If I need something, I allways get money to buy it...not allways, but if I need it for school hehe...
If I dunno how to do something, I can allways call my uncle for help and stuff...(my mom don't draw products) and most of the stuff I can get from my mom, cause she has a lot of drawing stuff...thats also how I learned it!! I drawed since im a lil boy, but when I got older, my uncle learned me another technique...but good...this is not my lifestory hehe...my family does support me and ur family dont have to pick on you!!! just keep on drawing!!! do what you like!!! If someone likes fishing, he also spends hours and hours on it!!!

97_sho
08-21-2005, 04:02 PM
ive been drawing for about 8-9 yrs and familys been with me all the way

PlatinumJpizzle
08-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Been drawing since i can remember, I'm no means a pro at it, But would like to become something close or even better one day. I like every aspect of art, Its a hobby of mine, a talent of mine, And soon one day, A career of mine. My family supports me in whatever i choose to do, Planning on going off to art school in a few years, And well, My mom is real supportive, but my dad is a hard head, and tells me ( Do you know how much thats going to cost?, LOL, i laugh and say, Yes dad, But you have to sacrafice at first to get want you want in the end). Drawing for me takes my mind off of things, When i draw i am 100% focused on what i am doing. So when i need a break or to clear my head, I grab out a piece of paper and pencil and just doodle. After im done, I usually just throw away my doodles. anyway, Back to the subject, If you like doing whatever it is you do, People should support you no matter what it is.

Platinum

gnasha
08-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Well concidering that you can make money from drawing I don't see where the problem is. If you are really into it keep practicing as it's the best way to progress and do what you want (you're an adult now). To answer your question, my familly has always supported it and encouraged it. Even coming from a totally different background they respected my choice.

BJ3113
08-22-2005, 07:24 AM
thanks for the replies, Im gonna do it no matte what they say!!!! Thanks for the encouragement everyone

g00eY
08-22-2005, 01:14 PM
everyone i know that knows of my drawing abilities usually encourages me to draw, either by requesting drawings or just complimenting them.

porscheguy9999
08-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I am not even close to being an expert, but I do draw alot. Since summer started, I havent been doing as much as I did during the school year. But my newest "good" one it the Aston Matin Lagonda (see my thread in this forum. But I am mostly a person that scribbles and sketches for fun when Im bored. And the sketching is the reason I didnt do spectacularly in school last year. Im gonna be a Junior when school starts back up in a few weeks and I hope to God that I actually pay attention and not have my face buried in a notebook drawing half the time. But thats off the point. My family really supports me in my drawings and complement them alot, but then again, its just my family. But I havent had anyone ask me to draw them somthing. So, yes, my faily supports me. But they say I should put my focus on school and not cars as much. As in putting my energy into school work and not all cars all the time like I did last year.

Add your comment to this topic!